blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Forum and Site Question

Forum and Site Question

Postby IrascibleOne » January 15th, 2014, 12:30 pm

I have a question about an assumption I've made about DS and I want to know if you guys feel the same way.

In terms of the back end, DS is broken up into two parts: The forum and the rest of the site. Because of that, I've always had the assumption that people visiting the site get the feeling that the two pieces don't quite fit together and that it's easy to use one half and not see the other. Or maybe that the functionality of the two parts feel disjointed.

I've been trying to blur the separation with updates to the site here and there (appearance, header/footer, author/artist info, reputation points idea), but I'm starting to wonder if it's only me who sees this invisible division simply because of what I see in the back end.

So, am I crazy :crazy: or do you see what I'm talking about too?
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Forum and Site Question

Postby brektzar » January 15th, 2014, 2:36 pm

I see what you mean and i agree :P
I do not have any ideas on how to go about fixing that though.. =(
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » January 15th, 2014, 3:01 pm

Well, maybe if I just keep going and doing a little things here and there every now and then it'll slowly merge together. I do think it is a lot better now than it used to be when they were styled completely differently though.

I think if I were to fully mesh the two, I'd have to do a complete restyling and edit many of the pages in the forum, but that's a huge project and probably not worth the time right now...
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby djm » January 17th, 2014, 10:12 pm

What you could do is see if you could make the Forum pay a role on the slide-show on the Home Page. Like; the latest post will be showcased on the slide-show with the title and some of the post's content (the first few words or something).

It is doable but I'm not quite sure if it's too much for you, or if the idea per say is too "wacky" to even consider at this point.
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby IrascibleOne » January 17th, 2014, 11:12 pm

It's possible. I'd just have to hook into the forum DB and find the table with latest posts. Wouldn't have to mess with the forum itself to do that.

Or maybe if I can figure out how phpbb does the Active Topics list I could use that and randomly pick one.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Site Discussions