blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Summer 2012 at DS

Summer 2012 at DS

Postby IrascibleOne » June 20th, 2012, 10:24 pm

Hey all, I know I've been quiet for the last couple of months but now that I have some time I'd like to get things revved up again at DS. I feel like I've said that over and over again, so I apologize if I sound like a broken record.

Anyways, if any of you are out there, I'd like to know what you'd like to see out of DS this summer. There are plenty of things I could go back to, revisit, fix, add, update, and so on, but I'd like to hear what you guys would like the most.

Here is some stuff that I could work on (in no particular order). Some of this stuff is all on me, but I'm open to everyone's input.

• DS Challenge: Start 'er up again, somehow get the word out to get people involved.
  • Update Tutorials: Get old tutorials updated to the new format.
  • New Tutorials: Not sure what I could do, since I haven't touched Blender in a while. Like always, suggestions are welcome.
  • DS Panel Updates: Wipe out any bugs, add...something. I dunno.
  • Blog: Figure out something so it is regularly updated, rather than whenever I get something new out.
  • Resources: Improve the resources section maybe? Add more models? Do stuff?
  • Forum: I dunno what, but I could do something.
  • Affiliates: Consider it dead. :evil:
  • Anything else?
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Summer 2012 at DS

Postby djm » June 21st, 2012, 1:48 am

Sounds good. However, what I would like to see the most on DS is a bigger base of active members. I know it's hard to get right now, but if we could only do something no one else has, as of yet, that would probably make more people come to us instead of the other way around. No clue what it is though..
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

Art Portfolio:
Portfolio!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby Sazex » June 21st, 2012, 4:13 am

Ahem... we must start an awesome new tutorial series tackling on a new and hard subject in blender. Or at least, a relatively hard subject... perhaps we can all work on it together.. as yyou said before irascible, the car tutorial brought people in before,(like me) it shud still work this time. Because if ther's one thing I know its that people love tutorials, and the blender community is lacking of it. Orr lacking of EVERY subject at least..
Sazex
Regular
Regular

Postby SPARTAN-001 » June 21st, 2012, 6:42 am

Not to worry, SPARTAN's back! :P
//SPARTAN
Practice makes perfect and nothing is perfect, so why practice? -brektzar
SPARTAN-001
Legend
Legend

Postby djm » June 21st, 2012, 7:09 am

SPARTAN-001 wrote:Not to worry, SPARTAN's back! :P

You don't even make tutorials..?

Anyway, I have my BGE series going. All I need is for people to tell me what they want to learn so I know what the next step in the series will be. They're available on Imantu, so go ahead and check them out.

Art Portfolio:
Portfolio!

DeviantArt Profile
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby SPARTAN-001 » June 21st, 2012, 7:10 am

I could probably actually start to make a couple After Effects tutorials, just going over basic things, because that's what I'm best at currently.
//SPARTAN
Practice makes perfect and nothing is perfect, so why practice? -brektzar
SPARTAN-001
Legend
Legend

Postby IrascibleOne » June 21st, 2012, 6:30 pm

@sazex: Yeah, just need to find that sweet spot everyone is looking for. I just happened to hit it with the car tut, but now I have to figure what people want now. At this point, if I were to guess, a tut that makes a half way decent game would probably do really well.

Any tut does work though, as long as they are posted on the tutorial indexing sites, such as tutorialized and the 20 or so others I have in my list. If it has a good title and looks interesting, then thats all the better. Most recently, people have responded really well to the particle forces tutorial.

@djm: I still have yet to really check them out, I'll see if I can take a look at 'em sometime soon.

@Spartan: That would be cool. I don't have After Effects, but I'm sure there are other people/blender users that would find them useful.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby djm » June 22nd, 2012, 6:19 pm

IrascibleOne wrote:At this point, if I were to guess, a tut that makes a half way decent game would probably do really well.

Well, you have mine and the rest of the tuts about the BGE on here. But like I said, to keep my series updated I need requests from the users as I'm not sure what exactly you want to learn.

Art Portfolio:
Portfolio!

DeviantArt Profile
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby Sazex » June 22nd, 2012, 7:26 pm

Also to add on to the tutorials idea, perhaps we can do more tutorials on non blender related stuff such as programming, software development, or some other software like zbrush. All i'm saying is that we dont have to restrict ourselves to blender exclusive tutorials.
Sazex
Regular
Regular

Postby IrascibleOne » June 22nd, 2012, 8:48 pm

@djm: I'll see if I can get a look at your stuff sooner rather than later then. Didn't you have a big list of what tuts you wanted to do though? You could just go down that list. Or am I thinking of something else?

--------

@Sazex: I think outside of Blender is cool, but only related stuff like Gimp, zBrush, Unity, and such.

I want it crystal clear what one can expect to find on DS each time they come back. Anyone who follows the site simply knows that when I post a tut, its about Blender. That's actually a beautiful thing because it means people are completely confident that is what they will find when they return. When people find what they want, they are happy.

If we expand to programming tuts, people will wonder why it isn't graphics related and why it's there. Then they'd be unsure if the next tut will be what they want and less likely to come back. We do have a couple of tuts that do this right now: The C# and PHP tut. I'll look into what traffic they are generating and if it's small I might put them in the forum.

tl;dr: In the forum, any tut is fine. In the main part of the site, keep it digital graphics related. Python is cool in the main part of the site if used with Blender.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next
Return to Site Discussions