blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

We Need Somethin' To Do.

We Need Somethin' To Do.

Postby IrascibleOne » August 1st, 2011, 11:11 pm

It's been pretty quiet in the forums lately. It's been so quiet, I sometimes think some of us are just here to be here. So, I was thinking maybe we could do something. I dunno what though. I mean, in the past we tried a community project (that fell apart due to bad planning/organization, loss of interest). And contests are just sort of...there. Plus, we've never really had enough active people to do either successfully and consistently.

We need some sort of forum revival. If you guys have ideas, I'm all ears. I'll be thinking too.

In the meantime, I think I might start a fresh forum contest and just keep cycling them even if no one enters. Make it at least look like the forums aren't dead new members...maybe some other things too, like being more active. I've been bad at that lately.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: We Need Somethin' To Do.

Postby djm » August 2nd, 2011, 12:42 am

Well, I haven't been overly active either lately because of my little "break" with pretty much everything internet/computer related. And I have a link to this website on almost every page I'm a member of. I have no idea what else there is for me to do now though..
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

Art Portfolio:
Portfolio!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby SPARTAN-001 » August 2nd, 2011, 8:08 am

I do agree that we need something to revive the forum, because I would really hate to see Dark Scarab die. Perhaps we could try another community project, starting off small but working our way up to bigger and better things?
//SPARTAN
Practice makes perfect and nothing is perfect, so why practice? -brektzar
SPARTAN-001
Legend
Legend

Postby IrascibleOne » August 2nd, 2011, 10:28 pm

We could, and I agree, starting small would be better. I have a few ideas rattling around that might make it work better too. Here's one idea to change it a bit from how we did it last time:

Say we need to model a mousetrap. Previously, if someone said they would model the mousetrap, they would be the only one doing it. However, this new way we just wait for someone to submit mousetrap and not worry about whether or not one, two, or twelve people are working on the same thing. This way, when one person finds out they can't work on it or find out they have no time to work on it anymore, it doesn't necessarily slow everything down. Also it leaves the possibility open for someone to make a better mousetrap.

I think last time people were very interested in participating, but people called dibs on what they wanted to do, some had to wait and ended up forgetting about it and I think a few people started working on something, then we waited, and nothing came of it. During the waiting, it just got so quiet, stuff stopped happening.

I think I'll start another post tomorrow in the comm projects section with a few ideas and have it open for you guy's ideas for how we could do better with our second community project. And maybe think of something we could focus on. Maybe just a simple scene?
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SPARTAN-001 » August 3rd, 2011, 4:28 am

Sounds good to me!
//SPARTAN
Practice makes perfect and nothing is perfect, so why practice? -brektzar
SPARTAN-001
Legend
Legend

Postby 3LeggedDog » September 6th, 2011, 6:38 am

Well, I first came to DS for the tutorials. Maybe "Resources" (in the above header) should be changed to "Tutorials". Also, all the items in that header (I guess it's called a header) look like they're dead links; like they're part of the background image. Maybe reversing the colors, so the header letters are white, and then turn dark when you pause your mouse on one, would help, too.
Also, I joined the DS foum to interrogate the maker of the tutorials. That is why most ppl. join a forum - because they believe they have something in common with the other users, and/or to get something for free.

IrascibleOne; I'm not trying to be critical in anway; and I have no way of knowing if changing a word will change the number of DS visitors. I mean a person of average inteligence, looking for tutorials on this site, should know to check under resources, but.... :roll:

Hrrrm; a new project! I wanna make a game! (That's my vote) :angel:

Also, the older members of the forum, and especially the MODERATORS, should be making interesting posts, especially concerning rendering and such. Ideally, the postings should have titles that are worded in such a way as to get the most internet searchers. Like:

Blender 2.59 Render Settings
Blender 2.59 Texture Baking
Blender 2.59 Explosions

and my personal favorite:

Blender 2.59 Doe-Eyed Brunette! :clap: :Dance: :clap:

Yes, I am being serious. The title needs to contain the word "Blender" and "2.59", at the very least, and should also included some word or subject that is the most likely to be searched for by a Blender user. This is not just an opinion, by the way. I experimented with different titles on this site some time ago and got a lot more interest in my posting when they had a more germane subject.
3LeggedDog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 3LeggedDog » September 6th, 2011, 6:48 am

I still think some little game, even a concept game, would be fun. But we could all get together and make some kind of model. Not for the GE. No, I mean super high poly with every kind of texture file we can put on it. Maybe a whole scene; built just for the renderer. I'm talking high end 3d art, next generation stuff. Something so cool every artist on the web will want to see it.
3LeggedDog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby IrascibleOne » September 6th, 2011, 1:35 pm

I have been needing to update those header links, for different reasons though. However, I'll keep your suggestions in mind when I do so. I have a hard time getting people to say something beyond 'It sucks' or 'It's great!', so your opinion is much appreciated.

And yes, the biggest contributor are the tutorials and the fact that I would post them around the web on tutorial indexing sites. I'd probably write a ton more, only the more I learn about Blender, the more I feel like I have no idea what I am talking about in tutorials. That and a lot of the things that are requested, I just don't know much about. I'm no Blender master or anything, unlike how a few people I've run into seem to believe. Maybe I'll squirt out a bunch of generic tutorials some time, just to get new ones posted.

The posting titles are a very good point, I'll have to keep that in mind when I make new posts. I've got to start posting more often too...
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 3LeggedDog » September 6th, 2011, 2:57 pm

Ok; Well, just trying to be helpful. ;)

As for Blender: I had just learned the new interface when I started working again, and now I too feel lost when I open 2.59. It's ok, I'll just keep working in 2.49b, and then I'll open them, and save them, with 2.59. (I will, however, have to relearn the interface eventually.)
3LeggedDog
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Site Discussions