blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Dark Scarab 7.1

Re: Dark Scarab 7.1

Postby brektzar » October 30th, 2014, 4:18 am

Great work Irascible! :)
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » November 18th, 2014, 1:31 pm

I know I've been a bit quiet lately, but some changes are in the works. With the new version of phpbb, there are some new things coming to the site and I've been figuring out how to integrate the existing site with it. There is a highlight of the updates on phpbb but I figured I would just let you guys know what matters to you guys and how they fit with DS.

• Notifications: I added a simple notification system to the home page a while back, but phpbb 3.1 includes a notification system built in. So, I'm in the process of deciphering how the phpbb team set that up and will be integrating the non-forum notifications into that. That means notifications will be in a dropdown in the header, usable everywhere. Current design:
    Screen-Shot-2014-11-03-at-1.png
  • Responsive: phpbb 3.1 works much better on smaller screens. I know a couple of people mentioned they were having problems, so now you can look forward to that.
  • Styling: The styles templates used in the current phpbb don't work with phpbb 3.1. You know what that means? I have to style everything in the forum all over again. So far, it has been easier though, so I have hoping it runs more smoothly and I can put together something that isn't as ugly as it is right now. This also means reinstalling the chat, likes, bbcodes, and any other mods to the forum.
  • Logging In: You will be able to login with your Facebook or Google account (cannot register with it though). If you are always logged in to one of those, it should make it much easier to log in to Dark Scarab in the future.
  • Home Page: Since the whole site is getting a better notification system, the home page will be updated a bit. At the minimum, I will be removing the existing notifications list. May shift the sidebar to the other side so it matches better with the rest of the site. We'll see though.

With all that said, if you want to see any changes in this next round of updates, let me know! You can also leave some feedback in the harsh crits thread.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » November 18th, 2014, 1:37 pm

Sounds like really good updates, and alot of work :P
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » November 18th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Yeah, it's a lot more than I expected to be doing, but the timing of the release of phpbb 3.1 changed that. Might as well do the big update now rather than small updates that I would have to redo later.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby IrascibleOne » November 24th, 2014, 1:07 pm

The header appearance and functionality is pretty much set at this point. I think the biggest update, which you cannot see, is how the menus open and close. Currently you have to click the menu button to open and close, but the new version will close menus if you click away or open another menu...if that doesn't make sense, let's just say it's now much more intuitive and feels waaay better than it does now - it's a big reason why I am so pleased with it.

Here you can see the main navigation, with the wide screen/desktop version on the left and the small screen/mobile version on the right.
11-24-2014_header.jpg

In this one you have the logged in user menu on the left and the new notification panel on the right.
11-24-2014_header2.jpg

I have no clue when this will be live. It depends on how long it takes me to work through the new forum version, which I spoke about in a previous post in this thread. I do have a long ways to go, but I will be trying to make significant improvements here and there to make it worthwhile.

As always, comments, suggestions, crits, and complains are appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby IrascibleOne » December 18th, 2014, 4:18 pm

Here is the direction I am going with the login page. I might change a couple things up, but I think you get the gist of it. I am really working on trying to make the forum cleaner and a little easier for touchscreens than the default phpbb.

Capture-2014_12_18.PNG
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby djm » December 19th, 2014, 5:16 pm

omg omg omg omg omg, can't wait for a more touch-friendly interface!! I mostly use DS on my phone nowadays so I am all for touch-friendly environments! Love the way you're going with this! :D
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby brektzar » December 20th, 2014, 12:44 am

Yeah i agree with DJM, touchscreens are what i use most of the time, either on a tablet or my phone.
I also like the looks of it, very clean look.
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » December 24th, 2014, 11:08 pm

Glad you guys are liking it! I continued work by doing the registration form. Pretty much identical appearance as the login form. I have also been styling up the main part of the forum. I removed topic image icons and replaced them with svg code so page loading will be faster. And for you mobile users, that will be how a topic list will look in small screens! No more horizontal overflow scrolling. :Dance:

Capture-2014_12_24.PNG

Capture-2014_12_24_(3).PNG
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » December 25th, 2014, 5:46 am

NO!
Do NOT work on christmas!
I will not accept it!......

Good work though.. :P
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

PreviousNext
Return to Site Discussions