blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

DS7 Reputation and Ranks

DS7 Reputation and Ranks

Postby IrascibleOne » May 17th, 2014, 3:45 pm

The current rank system is built into phpbb and solely based on forum posts. In DS7, I want to base it off your reputation points. Here is what I am planning to do. Let me know what you guys think about it. :D

Reputation Points
The follow point values are tentative values are the same as they are now. As time goes on these point values will be reevaluated and we'll decide if they are unfair and try to figure out what would work better.

10 points => When you share a tutorial, model, or gallery item.
3 points => When someone becomes your fan (if implemented).
1 point => When you post a comment, make a post in the forum, or someone likes something you posted.

Ranks
All the extra places to earn points means we need to adjust our ranking system. Personally, I've always liked the idea of a sports theme. Like points, the rank values will be reevaluated as time goes on.

Plus (+, ++) ranks are mainly to provide more ranks to reach. I deliberately made Pro quite difficult to achieve, but that really depends on how often people like things and become fans. Just for reference, here are the existing leaderboard scores. No one even makes AAA class, but keep in mind I added likes recently (which had barely been touched) and the ability to become someone's fan doesn't exist yet.

SHOW SPOILER
Score => Rank
0 => Tryouts
25 => Rookie
100 => Rookie+
175 => Rookie++
250 => A Class
500 => A+
750 => A++
1000 => AA Class
1500 => AA+
2000 => AA++
2500 => AAA Class
3250 => AAA+
4000 => AAA++
5000 => Pro Class
10000 => All Star
25000 => Hall of Fame

As for admins and mods, I don't know. I think maybe moderators could be "coaches" and the admin could be the "Head Coach". These could be little badges attached rather than ranks though.

Anyways, if you've manage to get through all that, let me know what you think. :D
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DS7 Reputation and Ranks

Postby djm » May 18th, 2014, 7:25 am

I love this idea and I believe it can be used a sa way to "make" people share more stuff on DS. However.. I have a hard time seeing this being a good timing right now. So few people are active enough to even see this, and even less than that actually contribute to the site.. Have you thought about any ways of increasing the members of DS??
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby IrascibleOne » May 18th, 2014, 3:40 pm

This won't be in place until DS7 is ready to go, which is a long ways away.

And Yes!!! Lots of recent changes and stuff coming with DS7 is meant to increase the number of active members. Likes, leaderboards, reputation points, rank, becoming a fan (following someone), profiles, "You support DS, DS supports you", being more active on social media, a steady stream of content, and designing DS7 to gently push people to register and be active are all meant to help with that.

Content is the most important. I've been sharing models at least once per week, a least one tutorial per month, and now the weekly updates. Every time I have something to share in social media or even BlenderNation (which is a massive traffic source) people come to the site. The more people see that there is quality fresh content, the more people will return to the site. The more people return, the more likely they start to speak up or post something too. DS desperately needs content.

My problem is balancing my time between content, site development, and social media/marketing. The more time I have to spend on one, the less time I have for the others. Since content is the most important and not many people are posting stuff now, it's going to take a lot of my time which is why the new ranks and DS7 is a long ways away right now.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby djm » May 19th, 2014, 2:28 am

Aah, yea. I'll keep updating my stuff whenever I can then to increase the content of the site :)
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby yaz » October 2nd, 2014, 7:48 am

me too.... i'll try to finish my camaro as soon as possible and write a tutorial on it when i find time! :)
so that my tutorial can be considered as a replacement for irascibleone's one!
i mean irascible's camaro one, not that honda one
yaz
Still New
Still New

Postby IrascibleOne » April 25th, 2015, 12:11 pm

With the progress being made on DS8, I thought it might be a good time to review our ranks and reputation score. At this point, I think I am still pretty happy with it, but would like to propose a couple of small changes.

1. Remove the +,++, and +++ ranks. I kind of feel like it clutters the rankings and might make it a little too much for newer members.
  2. "Tryouts" becomes "Prospect"
  3. Tweak the required score to reach different levels.
  4. Make ranks and score more visible in DS8, expanded to forum.
These changes would result in something like this:
Code: Select all
Rank           New Score      Old Score
---------------------------------------------
Prospect       0              0
Rookie         250            25
A              500            250
AA             1000           1000
AAA            2500           2500
Professional   5000           5000
All-Star       10000          10000
Hall of Fame   25000          25000

As for the different actions that increase your score, I think that will stay the same for now.
Code: Select all
Item           Points
------------------------------
Submission     10
Fan            3
Comment        1
Forum Post     1
Likes          1

What do you guys think?
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » April 25th, 2015, 1:44 pm

Change posting to 2 points, i can see this as a carrot on a stick, posting is more fun if you earn something :P
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » April 26th, 2015, 11:33 am

I can do that. Will change the scoring for top posters quite a bit. Also, I'm not sure how you've been handling them, but probably means being a little less lenient about the quick double posts we see every now and then, just to keep things fair.

And yep, that's why I want to make it more obvious you are earning points when you do earn them in DS8. Right now, it's pretty much done in the background and you don't see any of it unless you go to the leaderboard page. I imagine shiny notifications whenever you do something to earn you points or when you earn a badge.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » April 27th, 2015, 10:14 am

Yes, i have been quite lenient when it comes to double posting, i have been lenient in most cases actually, but thats mostly due to the number of people active here :P
Ill switch it up a gear though, less lenient from now on!

WATCH OUT PEOPLE!(imagine the text is blinking)
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Return to Site Discussions