blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Dark Scarab 7

Re: Dark Scarab 7

Postby IrascibleOne » July 18th, 2014, 10:58 am

I hadn't thought of that, but I like the idea. I always struggle when I can't find time to make content for the site...
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » July 19th, 2014, 4:58 pm

Yeah, i think that would be good, not only for the readers but also to lighten your work and reduce stress for you :P
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » July 23rd, 2014, 3:04 pm

If you've visited DS enough, you've probably gone to the home page and thought 'This is as useless as shit!'. Well, I'll be the first to tell you that you were wrong because I am pretty sure shit has far more uses than the current homepage.

With that in mind, here's my attempt at making the future homepage useful. Popular works, notifications, and the top 10 members. Notifications include alerts for forum replies, new comments on your works, new private messages, a when someone likes your work or comments. Will probably add an alert when someone becomes a fan too. Useful enough for you?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » July 23rd, 2014, 3:12 pm

Yeah thats exactly what ive been thinking, the homepage is even worse than shit! :D

Seriously though, the new homepage is a good idea, especially the notifications thing :P
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » August 1st, 2014, 6:16 pm

I think this may be my last preview before I do the first upload of DS7. There are still a ton of things to do, but I am getting antsy to get things out to clean up the site and so I can focus on making some content for a bit. I will probably write an article summarizing what is getting updated now and what is coming in the future, so more on that soon.

This is the submit/edit page. I am not sure if I have said this before, but everything on the site will be a series of media items and/or text. It fits perfectly with the existing tutorial setup and adds more flexibility for other types of uploads to the site.

Screen-Shot-2014-08-06-at-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » August 1st, 2014, 6:40 pm

Welcome back! :D

This looks like it would make things very easy!
Do you upload the images to DS or somewhere else?
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » August 1st, 2014, 7:51 pm

Both work. For now, the only media you can upload directly to DS is images. Anything else has to be posted somewhere else and shared here via URL, like I mentioned in a previous post (I think?). The good thing is that anything else could include images, videos, 3d models, audio, etc. Whatever is supported by embedly should theoretically work.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » August 2nd, 2014, 1:42 pm

I was just wondering about the images now, i remember you said in an older post that videos etc had to bee on another site.

Another question, will you be adding anything like Sketcfab to the site? Or have you already and i missed it or forgot about it? :P
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » August 3rd, 2014, 12:54 pm

You mean 3d models directly on DS? Not yet. The problem is converting blend files to a format that can be used in the browser. There is an exporter for Blender, but the whole process isn't very user friendly (download/install the script, models have to be UV unwrapped with baked textures, have to export before uploading to DS...). Can't just use the exporter on my server because my host doesn't support Python. For now, it's a lot easier supporting Sketchfab embeds than trying to roll my own.

Like videos, I would like to support it someday, but time constraints and server constraints are holding it back.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » August 7th, 2014, 6:56 am

Okok, I thought that it could be cool to have a preview of a model before downloading it(in the resources section), so thats why i asked :P
But you seem to have everything planned and under control :)
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

PreviousNext
Return to Site Discussions