blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Dark Scarab 7

Dark Scarab 7

Postby IrascibleOne » April 8th, 2014, 10:10 pm

Now that the updates I wanted to make for v6.1 are done, I have started thinking about the next round of updates. So, if you have ideas or a preference on how DS should improve, feel free to let me know. Here some some rough ideas, things that I could focus on.

• New Profiles
  • Move Imantu uploads to DS
  • Add social media feeds to blog page (Twitter, G+, etc.)
  • Upgrade Gallery
  • Media Improvements: Sketchfab Integration, maybe limited video uploading, etc.
  • Leaderboards, score tracking, competitions
  • Simpler URLs
  • Other ideas?
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dark Scarab 7

Postby brektzar » April 9th, 2014, 11:07 am

I agree with most of your ideas. But, if you were to move all imantu images to DS all the links that we have posted in various places would be invalid, right?
Could you perhaps add sort of like symbolic links to those so they stay working? :P
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » April 9th, 2014, 12:09 pm

Those links would still be good as long as I own the domain. I will have a permanent redirect or a message on Imantu saying things are getting shifted over to DS. I actually did this when I took down tutorials for Imantu, when the same tutorial was available on DS. I don't let like to let links disappear when the same content still exists.

If I do go through with it, it will be part of an overall goal of letting Imantu die and merging the good bits into Dark Scarab. Right now, DS desperately needs more content, so that's why I had the idea to try to shift some of that content over.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » April 9th, 2014, 2:26 pm

Aah, in that case im all for it! :)
Im trying to do stuff in blender, but i always get sidetracked into something else...
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » May 9th, 2014, 12:26 am

I've been working through the new version. Not much to show though because it is a lot of work in the back end, reorganizing/simplifying the database, and planning how things are going to be set up. The appearance of the site is going to be similar to what it is now, but there will be a big change in structure. Here's a preview of the header to give you an idea of what I am thinking:
Untitled-1.jpg

• Browse will essentially take over for 'Resources'. There are still tutorials, models, and galleries, but they are treated more like categories rather than separate areas of the site.
  • Leaders is where people can check out who the people with the top scores are. I would like to have different tables where one can see leaders for the month, top voices (comments and forum posts), top content creators (tutorial/model/gallery uploads), and so on. If you have ideas about the kinds of stats/leaderboards you'd like to see, I'm all ears. Also mulling over the idea of prizes, but very concerned about cheaters or people who mess with the system.
  • Social will be what the blog page is now. I'd like to integrate social media feeds (twitter, google+, maybe?) to go along with the existing RSS feed list. Still have to look into that though, so I'm not 100% certain on if/how it will work.
  • The blog isn't going to go away, but it will become more of an site status/updates sort of blog. I haven't done weekly updates in a while, so I might start that up again sometime soon and maybe use it to talk about upcoming changes to the site and to highlight the things people have uploaded on the site. I feel there has been a nice stream of content lately, so it should be easier.
  • If you support DS, DS will support you. This is something I am actually trying to start now. Basically, if you upload things to the site I'll try to share it on the DS social media accounts. Or if you are a known member of DS I'll try to +1, reshare, retweet some of your social media thingys (especially if there's a link to DS in it). Also means the possibility of being shared in weekly updates when I start those again.

Thoughts? Ideas? I love feedback, feel free to be mean and nasty if necessary! :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby djm » May 9th, 2014, 5:25 am

Irascible.. This.. This.. I don't know what to say.. it's so bad..ass ;)

No but seriously, I love the new layout of the header-menu, and the idea of sharing everything even though it's not your own content - that makes me want to do more stuff for DS. The more people see DS the better, and more will want to contribute if they know they get rewarded in some way for it. Love it!

And the RSS thing, where you want facebook/google+/twitter feeds implemented as well it is do-able but finicky as far as I know. There are scripts which handles such things with ease, but I'm not sure if one can take them from let's say Wordpress and implement them here. Hm..

Either way, looking forward to the new updates!!
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby IrascibleOne » May 12th, 2014, 11:12 pm

The other thing about the social page I have run into the the need for an API key and I think I've seen mention of traffic limits. I doubt DS would have a problem with traffic early on, but I don't think I want to deal with it later. So, yeah, the initial outlook isn't too great. There will definitely be RSS feeds though, I can say that for certain.

Also, I have a new update. Here's the current progress on the leaderboard and the general theme of the site. The header looks different this time because it's mobile sized. Yes, the scores are about 6 months out of date. Feedback, ideas, and questions are welcome. Otherwise I have a hard time knowing if you guys think I'm going in the right direction.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby IrascibleOne » May 25th, 2014, 2:12 pm

Was unexpectedly busy last week, so I ended up taking the week off in terms of posting things to the site. However, I do have a question for everyone concerning the future design of the site. White or Black? Or maybe neither?

Other than that, the leader boards are pretty much done, so what you see in terms of functionality is what you get. If you have any comments or suggestions on that, I'd appreciate that too.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » May 28th, 2014, 1:55 am

This looks awesome! And i am in second place! :D

Id say go with black. Black or grey suits the site and its easier no the eyes ^^
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » June 5th, 2014, 10:28 pm

Dark it is then!

And here is some of the latest progress on the site. This is where I have been going with the 'Browse' page. As you can see, when you hover over an item, you get some extra info before even going to it. Quite pleased with this part, actually.

Screen-Shot-2014-06-05-at-2.jpg

This somewhat marks the completion of the browse and leaders section. Still a long ways to go, but I am slowly getting through these updates.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next
Return to Site Discussions