blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Dark Scarab 7

Re: Dark Scarab 7

Postby brektzar » June 5th, 2014, 11:50 pm

Great work! :D
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » June 15th, 2014, 10:32 pm

Thought I would give another update on the progress. I've been really flip-floppy on the colors/appearance of the site, but the general UX and layout is largely the same. Here is a sneak peak on what the tutorials/models/gallery/article pages are going to look like. Sidebar is collapsible (it is hidden by default on small screens) so that big pics (especially in the gallery) can really shine!

Keep in mind there are some missing bits, like the score/rank, Blender version used indicator, download links (its done, but not in this shot), and some other functionality, but I think you get the gist of it.

Also, as a side note, everyone will be able to post their own articles rather than just me. Can be used like a journal or for news or whatever you like. I will make it easy to access official DS updates though so it won't get buried by all the roving members we have right now. I'm also debating on whether or not the 'social' section (viewing Blender related RSS Feeds, Twitter feeds, etc) is worth the time to make. Any input on these is appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » June 16th, 2014, 2:41 am

You should probably use this in a "suite" and sell it for a hefty sum ;)
Seriously, youve basically connected everything we could need for the site... :P

I like the look, and i think Blender RSS feeds is a nice extra, not really needed but still nice.
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » June 17th, 2014, 3:12 pm

Yeah, I think I am leaning towards dropping the idea of having twitter/g+/facebook feeds but still having the RSS feeds. And it won't have the emphasis I originally planned. Maybe just have a spot on the home page or a link to a 'Blender Community Feeds' page in the footer. Also, if I drop that idea I have less to add to the site and I can get it all done sooner.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby IrascibleOne » June 20th, 2014, 1:36 pm

Here is another preview of how things are going. Here is what it currently looks like below every tutorial/gallery/article/model page. You will be able to like comments and some emphasis on sharing and connecting with the creators.

I have also implemented the interface for going between steps/images/whatever for each series.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby IrascibleOne » June 23rd, 2014, 12:20 pm

I've got a small sweet update (well, I think so anyways). Right now, you can embed Vimeo or YouTube videos with just the URL of the video. In DS7, you'll be able to embed just about anything. Here's the list of sites this supports: http://embed.ly/embed/features/providers
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » June 23rd, 2014, 1:24 pm

Great news!

When do you use your spare time for anything other than DS? :P
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » June 27th, 2014, 4:46 pm

brektzar wrote:When do you use your spare time for anything other than DS? :P

Well, I do eat from time to time. :)
-----
Here's another screenshot. I'm still struggling to pin down the appearance of the site. I dunno what it is, but I can't find something that I like. I'm hoping I can stick with this one. A bit curious what you all think of my progression on that.

I have also completed the submission page and other pieces. You can now become someone's "fan" (same as following/watching/etc). View All feature allows people to view everything at once rather than having to go through steps, if they want. Changed the header a bit too, I am putting the submission button in plain view in hopes that more people will be able to see that they can indeed post their stuff here. You cannot see it here, but the social feeds have been shifted into the footer.

I will probably start working on the home page next. The main goal there is to actually make it useful.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby IrascibleOne » July 17th, 2014, 4:46 pm

I'm sure no one cares, but I'll share it anyways...the new version of Dark Scarab will have a weekly newsletter. Here's what it looks like.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » July 18th, 2014, 9:38 am

I think that sounds like a good idea!
And that blog post example, awesome stuff! You should use it in a real newsletter.

Will the newsletter include stuff from other sites when content on DS for that particular week is low?
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

PreviousNext
Return to Site Discussions