blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Forum Updates

Forum Updates

Postby IrascibleOne » February 13th, 2014, 6:21 pm

Well, I decided to suck it up and update the forum. So far its turning out to be as un-fun and tedious as I expected. Goals:

• Update forum files, clean out any messed up code from past failed updates/mod additions
  • Appearance should fit better with the rest of the site, to make it appear more integrated
  • Look into improved chatroom ('real' chatroom)
  • Incorporate 'Thanks' or some reputation points system into forum

So far, I've made a template that is as close to the default as I could get. Most changes are just to the css. It was very tedious and time consuming. However, I have now been through every single template file, so I know where everything is and that should make it much easier to add or alter in the future.

=====

The updates are just about ready. What's been changed?

• Refreshed style to match the rest of the site a little better
  • Fresh install of phpBB with clean install of the newest version of mods (Welcome PM, Mini-Chat)
  • Reputation voting - Not installed yet, but is the last thing to do before putting this update on the site.
  • Members no longer see ads in the forum.

One thing to note, I don't think we'll have a real chat room until DS moves off of it's current server and I have more control over it. I did install a newer version of the existing chat though, so there's that.

That said, the forum will probably go down tomorrow or Friday, depending on how soon I can get the post voting implemented. So, consider this a heads up.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Forum Updates

Postby IrascibleOne » February 21st, 2014, 5:58 pm

New forum is up! Here's what is new and what has changed. Pretty similar to what I have previously posted.

• Clean Install of phpbb => All the files are up do date, messed up and failed mod updates are gone, everything fresh and clean.
  • New template and styles => Heavily based on the default style, but fits much better with the rest of the site, I think. Will make changes to the forum much easier in the future.
  • Squishy => It's related to the template and styles, but the forum is squishier than it used to be. It used to be a fixed width, but now it stretches to some extent, making the usage of the forum much better for a large chunk of people who visit the site.
  • Updated Chat => I wanted real chat, but that won't happen until I change host or get my own server. So I just got the newest version of what we had.
  • Reputation Voting => Something that has been asked for repeatedly has finally been implemented! You can now like posts in the top right corner of each post. Each post will include the number of likes a post has gotten. Also, I listed the total number of likes given in an entire thread on the thread list pages. The likes have not been tied into your total reputation score anywhere yet, but will try to get that done soon.
  • Ads => Like I mentioned, members no longer see ads in the forum. You're welcome, members.
  • Registration => The registration process has been streamlined a bit and now includes the same 'reasons to join' that are currently on the home page. Because of this, I do plan on updating the home page soon, to make it more useful to everyone.

All that said, if you see any weird things like strange looking buttons or something positioned somewhere odd, let me know. I'm already noticing a few minor things here and there, so I know they're out there. Other than that, enjoy! :D
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » February 22nd, 2014, 8:36 pm

Its looking good! :) Very bright compared to the old one.
I do miss the board index button =( Or maybe i just missed it? :P
I like the way they showed the path to the current topic as well, thats also gone, i think. :P
To get back to the forums front page do i have to click on the forum button at the top?

Might be just me being too used to the old way ^^
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » February 23rd, 2014, 11:44 am

No, it's not just you. I keep trying to use it too. Was going to add it before I uploaded the updates, but I guess I forgot. Will try to add it right now.
There is a board index link above the footer though.

UPDATE: I've added the breadcrumbs to a couple of pages. Let me know if there are other pages where you think I should have them added.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » February 23rd, 2014, 3:09 pm

Thank you! :D
Thats probably what i use the most on a forum xD

If i find anything else ill tell you :)
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Return to Site Discussions