blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Reputation Points

Reputation Points

Postby IrascibleOne » January 15th, 2014, 12:11 pm

We currently have a ranking system based on the number of posts in the forum. However, I am interested in implementing a more robust reputation system that takes into account the things you do outside the forum. This would help give tangible recognition for contributions to the site.

Here's my initial idea for point totals:
Forum Post = 1pt
Comment = 1pt
Recommended Link (on tutorials) = 2pts
Tutorials/Models/Gallery = # of likes/faves/hearts

I'm avoiding giving a set number of points for tuts, models, etc because it implies each are of equal value. I've written tutorials that vary in quality and length and it wouldn't make sense to be rewarded equally for each one. Instead, this would allow the community to decide by 'liking' a tutorial.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Just f-ing do it, already?
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Reputation Points

Postby brektzar » January 15th, 2014, 2:41 pm

Just f-ing do it already!

Would the same rating system for tutorials apply for models as well?
Otherwise that could be "unfair" since it takes time to make a model, and then to share that model with other people should be of equal value to a tutorial.
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » January 15th, 2014, 2:58 pm

Yep! That's the idea. I'd add the 'likes' (or whatever we call it) to tutorials, models, and gallery images and, in a sense, let the community decide.

Considered adding it to comments too, but then I'd have to add it to forum posts, so I think I'll wait on that for now. If I decide to do it that all.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » January 16th, 2014, 4:15 pm

Sounds like a plan! :)

For forum recognition cant you just use and modify one of the many mods that are availible for this sort of thing?
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » January 16th, 2014, 10:59 pm

Theoretically, yes. But that's not why I hesitate.

I know the thanks mod would be perfect. The problem is that mods are designed to fit into the default template and that mod requires lots of changes to the default phpbb template. When I first made DS, I decided to use a custom template. I wish I had known about the problems it would cause.

Doing the thanks mod now would mean figuring out where the template changes are in the default template, dig through the custom template to find the corresponding location, and hope it doesn't take 5000 tries for each change. :sick:

Because of that (and other reasons), I'd like to do a clean install and revert to the default template. But that means restyling that template (the whole f-ing forum) so it matches the rest of the site and reinstalling mods. :sick: Oh, and yesterday I found out the section in the admin panel that I would use to change the template is broken. So I have to fix it or find out how to manually change the template first. :sick:

I'd actually love to have likes/faves/whatever on everything. But when it comes down to it, reverting templates won't bring more people to DS and I don't think the difference between having a set number of points and community votes is worth the unfortunate hassle it would become. :(

=============

EDIT: Okay, I thought about it last night and decided just to start the shift. I started working on taking the default template and am going to try to style it to match the rest of the site.

However, I'm only going to do bits and pieces here and there. I have no clue how long it will be. Weeks? Months? I dunno. We shall see.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby IrascibleOne » January 18th, 2014, 10:58 pm

I have implemented 'likes' to tutorials, models, gallery images, and blog articles. Just find the heart symbol and click it to like or unlike. Should show the total number of likes right next to it. Only members can like things.

As for comments, forum posts, and recommended links, they will simply be a set number of points until I implement the likes system.

Finally, what do you think about the reputation score being a base set of points for things, then likes added on top of it? For instance, maybe forum posts could be 1pt each plus any likes associated with it. That way, people who submit content that never get any likes do get points for contributing and people who already have content on the site will get some credit for the things they've done. Make sense/good idea?
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby djm » January 21st, 2014, 4:57 am

Sounds like a good idea. I'm curious though.. Since rep-points will be awarded through posting then spam will become an issue if people want to look like a big contributor (regarding rep-points at least). Got anything to prevent this from becoming an issue, like it has been on other websites with similar functionalities?
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby IrascibleOne » January 21st, 2014, 10:53 am

The first defense is that one has to be a member, which means bots will be relatively easy to shoot down.

I do get an email for every comment that gets past the spam filters, so I can shoot those down quickly. Recommended links need to be approved before they are shown on the site. Other than that the amount of content being posted is low enough that it will be easy to find and remove. Once removed, they lose rep points.

Of course, when the site gets bigger, there will need to be something more efficient put into place, but for now I think we are okay.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Site Discussions