blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

BGE Tutorial List - User Made Series

BGE Tutorial List - User Made Series

Postby djm » April 17th, 2012, 1:36 am

Hello fellow scarabs!

As I've been playing around in the Blender Game Engine for quite some time now I've decided to make a huge set of tutorials both video and text. The tutorials will be listed in this post to simplify it for those looking for BGE tutorials.

My thought on this is also to implement other users BGE tutorials within the list, by listing account name and then the tutorials this person has done. This way, people will see who knows what and what to ask who. They will also see whom of us who are more into the Game Engine than the rest. We already have a few BGE tutorials on the site that are great for starters, but we need more "Tutorial 1, do this" and "Tutorial 2, continuation". Basically, a ladder of tutorials where the difficulty of each tutorial will increase gradually.

As it is right now, 17th April 2012, the tutorials we have right now are [step-wise]; tutorial 1, tutorial 2, tutorial 4, tutorial 7 etc. Not really that helpful if you're trying to make a decent game without any knowledge what so ever. I want to make the series built upon basics 101, intermediate, more difficult stuff, simple code (difficult), more code, "hard" stuff and so on - a way for the user to see that the next tutorial is linked to the previous one. Since the plan is to make both video and text for this the project-files and speed will be different. The text tutorials will be slightly faster since each part can be a massive wall of text (which they probably will be). The videos however will be very in depth as well, but since it's a video and people shouldn't have to paus every 5th second to understand I've decided to make them chapter-wise with 1 or more parts per chapter.

(The examples below are not written in stone. The names and order of the chapters may differ).
[Example: Text]
Tutorial 1; Basics
*Wall of text*
-image-
*wall of text*
-image-
etc.

[Example: Video]
Chapter 1; Basics - Part 1
Chapter 1; Basics - Part 2
Chapter 1; Basics - Part 3
--
Chapter 2; Combinations - Part 1
Chapter 2; Combinations - Part 2
--
Chapter 3.1; Quantity, Health, Experience (Simplified) - Part 1
Chapter 3.1; Quantity, Health, Experience (Simplified) - Part 2
Chapter 3.1; Quantity, Health, Experience (Simplified) - Part 3
--
Chapter 3.2; Quantity, Health, Experience (Advanced) - Part 1
Chapter 3.2; Quantity, Health, Experience (Advanced) - Part 2
Chapter 3.2; Quantity, Health, Experience (Advanced) - Part 3
Chapter 3.2; Quantity, Health, Experience (Advanced) - Part 4
--

Etc. This is just the basic structure I have in mind right now.
Also, keep in mind that I won't go through how to rig, model, sculpt or anything not BGE-related.

Any thoughts and suggestions to this? Every suggestion will be considered and deeply checked upon since this will be a series of tutorials made for new BGE-users.

It's time to revive this forum and the tutorial-section of it once more! CHARGE!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Tutorials

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suggestions
SHOW SPOILER
Suggestions I'm able to do, so far (Logic Bricks);
HP-Bar
Double-Jump
Experience
Items
Level-System
Climbing
Ammo
Mini-Map
Turrets/Defence System
Easy AI
--

Suggestions I'm not able to do, yet (Logic Bricks);
--

Suggestions being made into tutorials, right now;
HP-Bar [Complete]
Double-Jump [In Progress..]
Experience [In Progress..]
Items [Not Yet Started..]
Level-System [Not Yet Started..]
Climbing [Not Yet Started..]
Ammo [Not Yet Started..]
Mini-Map [Not Yet Started..]
Turrets/Defence System [Not Yet Started..]
Easy AI [Not Yet Started..]
Last edited by djm on June 30th, 2012, 12:34 am, edited 8 times in total.
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Re: BGE Tutorial List - WIP, Finished and Requests

Postby djm » April 18th, 2012, 10:37 am

Since the "add tutorial" section of the DS-Panel appears to be bugged (at least for me) I've decided to post my tutorials on Imantu until this issue has been resolved.

Here's the first one; "Blender Game Engine Tutorial #1; Basics - Part 1" (I had to shorten the name on Imantu.. :( )

I will make a list at the end of the first post with all the tutorials from this series, so everyone can find them without having to search through the entire topic. I would also like to get suggestions from you guys with things to add in future parts!

DeviantArt Profile

djm
Pro
Pro

Re: BGE Tutorial List - User Made Series

Postby IrascibleOne » April 19th, 2012, 12:38 am

Yeah, the whole DS Panel seems buggy at this point along with some other things. And Imantu sucks. I just don't have time to fix them right now. I am so furious over the amount of school work I have this quarter. :evil:

Anyways, this sounds like a really good idea, wish I could help out more with the form and reading your tuts and all. I might get time this weekend though, depending on how tomorrow and Friday works out. Fingers crossed!!
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby IrascibleOne » June 23rd, 2012, 11:21 pm

Finally got a chance to take a look through them. I like where it's going.

If it were me making the tuts, I would take it one step further. You've got basic movement and an intro to properties, now just step beyond that. For instance, I think it would make sense to move on to health bars (or something similar) for more advanced use of properties.

Another tut that I personally would find useful as some point would be about displaying info on the game screen, such as the amount of health that is left. As of now, I'm not sure how to do that off the top of my head and have yet to research it.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby djm » June 24th, 2012, 12:13 pm

Aight, I could do that. No biggy. However it will take some time to write it as I'm am now doing so much "hobby" stuff related to my music and my art. But these tuts will definitely be made ASAP. I might even stream them, who knows.

DeviantArt Profile

djm
Pro
Pro

Postby djm » June 30th, 2012, 12:38 am

I took the liberty of changing my list a bit as well as adding a suggestion-list. Now people can see a complete list of suggestions I've gotten and what I'm working on at the time being. Remember though; Each tutorial may take a couple of days to finish as I have other things to do as well.

Sazex; Added your double-jump in the list and it's done! Working on a tutorial for it right now ;)

DeviantArt Profile

djm
Pro
Pro

Re: BGE Tutorial List - WIP, Finished and Requests

Postby simonclark » January 21st, 2013, 3:13 am

djm wrote:Since the "add tutorial" section of the DS-Panel appears to be bugged (at least for me) I've decided to post my tutorials on Imantu until this issue has been resolved.

Here's the first one; "Blender Game Engine Tutorial #1; Basics - Part 1" (I had to shorten the name on Imantu.. :( )

I will make a list at the end of the first post with all the tutorials from this series, so everyone can find them without having to search through the entire topic. I would also like to get suggestions from you guys with things to add in future parts!

Thats really good that you are working on the list of tuts ...so when you post the list of the tuts and give some suggestion related to the tuts ...so that i can also work on it .
simonclark

Return to Tutorials