blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Car Modeling Tutorial Complete!

Re: Car Modeling Tutorial Complete!

Postby Allz69 » August 19th, 2009, 12:30 pm

I'm not really looking for a specific effect, I just saw that in the .blend there were no lamps so I was curious. I did like the graney looking effect the renders of the camaro had though. I haven't done much with lighting yet so just avoiding the lights would be nice.

Thanks for quick reply!
Allz69

Postby IrascibleOne » August 19th, 2009, 12:35 pm

I just did Ambient Occlusion in those images. I like using it when modeling just because it is pretty easy to see everything when you test render. So if you want to do the same sort of thing, all you need is to do turn on ambient occlusion.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Allz69 » August 19th, 2009, 6:59 pm

Thanks a lot!
Allz69

Postby Allz69 » August 20th, 2009, 3:21 pm

So... workin on my camaro and all is good, except I cant quiet get Auto Smooth to work the way I believe it is suppose to.

I have two picture, the first has an auto smooth of 18 and the second has an auto smooth of 20. As you can see the fender does not look smooth, so I figured I would turn up the auto smooth. But when I do edges on the hood become sharp and more defined(Red arrows). If I turn the auto smooth up more the edges will go away on my hood, but so will the ones that define the ridge in the middle the hood.

I thought that since those edges were already smooth they would not be effected if I turned up the auto smooth. Any suggestions on how to smooth out my fender and keep my hood beautiful at the same time :crazy: ?

Thanks in advance
Allz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Allz69

Postby IrascibleOne » August 20th, 2009, 3:53 pm

Ok, I checked it out and made sure about exactly what it does and it seems like the higher the setting, the more that it will smooth out. As for your case, I am not sure what is going on. Maybe a glitch in the calculations or something. Did you try putting the setting a little higher? Maybe it will fix itself if you add a few more degrees to that setting.

If that fails, I would move the vertices or add a few more in there and smooth it a bit more manually and see it that helps.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Allz69 » August 20th, 2009, 6:27 pm

Well I did a little experiment. I exported my model and imported it into the .blend that you made available for download. My Camaro looks remarkably better now(still some minor things), but when its rendered in your file it looks much better.

Are there any settings you changed when you made your Camaro? I'm considering finishing my project in your .blend, but I'd like to know so that I don't have to keep using your file anytime I want to model something. I'd upload my .blend if you need it to compare with your own.

Let me know, thanks!
Allz
Allz69

Postby IrascibleOne » August 20th, 2009, 9:42 pm

There's nothing that I can remember off of the top of my head. I tried to put everything I did in the tutorial. I'd be happy to compare the blend files, but this is probably my last post until I get back from my vacation (Sept. 1st). If you still have the problem then, then I'll look at it.

The only difference that I can see now is that my Auto-Smooth setting is at 25 rather than 20, I don't think I specified any particular level in the tutorial. But that doesn't explain the problem...
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Allz69 » September 8th, 2009, 3:17 pm

Unable to figure out what was wrong w. my .blend that it would not smooth correctly I gave up. Until a few days ago when I began messing around with the edge split modifier. To make a long story short here is my progress so far!

Thanks for your help and the tutorial!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Allz69

Postby Dictator-for-life » September 11th, 2009, 11:31 pm

Whoa, that's spectacular. Can't wait to see the finished product!
"Along with 'Antimatter,' and 'Dark Matter,' we've recently discovered the existence of 'Doesn't Matter,' which appears to have no effect on the universe whatsoever." -The 5th Wave
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jaka123 » May 11th, 2013, 2:35 am

Hey guys, newbie here. I am stuck right at the beggining when you add a plane to the hood. It says:
Now select all of the edges except for the left one. Delete them.
I have no idea what that means.
Help please!
jaka123

PreviousNext
Return to Tutorials