blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Beginners Tutorials

Beginners Tutorials

Postby IrascibleOne » November 3rd, 2013, 7:54 pm

I received a suggestion in an email that DS should have more beginners tutorials. While I've always tried to make my tutorials easy to follow, they aren't exactly aimed at new users. I've also generally avoided doing tutorials that people on other sites have done. However, I think it would be good for DS if we had a few tutorials aimed at beginners.

So, I was thinking, maybe we could work together on planning out some topics to cover in some tutorials and really try to aim at making them beginner friendly. What do you think?
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Beginners Tutorials

Postby brektzar » November 5th, 2013, 4:26 am

This sounds like a good idea :) DS could efinately use the ectra content right now.
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » November 11th, 2013, 12:03 pm

Think I will probably take a look at what other sites are doing, then make a list of some basic stuff. Maybe I can get to it after I'm done updating all of the game engine tutorials.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby IrascibleOne » November 12th, 2013, 8:11 pm

I was thinking that it might be a good idea to create a basics tutorials for each existing topic. Some of the tutorials that have already been created would fit into it.

Here's a list of what I am thinking so far. The ones that already cover the basics in some way are linked to.
SHOW SPOILER
| Addons
| Animation
| Game Engine
| Modeling
|---> Modifiers [Here]
| Physics
|---> Fluids [Here]
|---> Smoke [Needs to be updated]
|---> Particles
| Video Editor/Sequencer [Here]
| Materials
| Lighting
| Compositor
| Rendering

Once we have a tutorial covering the basics of these topics, a basics 'course' could be set up. It'd look like the other tutorials on the site, but instead of actually having all the content, it would simply tell beginners which tutorials to use for each topic. Almost like a table of contents, or similar to a 'course' on Blender Cookie.

Now that I think about it, something like that might be a good idea for the game engine tutorials too. Maybe I can set one up to show exactly what I am talking about, if it doesn't make sense here.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » November 14th, 2013, 6:28 am

It looks like a good foundation to start from, some of the tutorials allready exists on DS though dont they? So that should make it easier :P
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » November 14th, 2013, 12:19 pm

Yeah, definitely. I may make them a little more beginner friendly by adding more keyboard shortcut hints, but other than that, I think they are good. At least until Blender changes.

Shouldn't be too hard in general either. Easier than most other tutorials anyways. Just a rundown of the basics, to get people introduced to the topic.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stardavid » November 25th, 2013, 8:58 am

Hi guys, how are you all doing? Am a beginner too but I think am a little higher than beginners because I know some few things in blender now like some shortcut keys and their function. I think it's a good idea to make some topics clear(understandable) to beginners cuz we all want to Learn and be perfect one day. :thumbup:. Also i would suggest that every tutorial should at least identify the version of blender tHat is been used in the tutorial cuz most of us are using newer versions of blender while others are using older versions of blender. Thanks for the help.
stardavid
Contributor
Contributor

Postby IrascibleOne » November 25th, 2013, 11:07 am

Welcome to DS! :wave:

Definitely, that's a good idea. It's something I need to figure out. What worries me is people new to Blender may see the version and assume it doesn't work for the version they have even though most tutorials will work for many versions. For instance, fluids hasn't changed in ages, so even though the tutorial was updated recently, it could probably work all the way back to 2.50.

But yeah, something to figure out. My main goal is to make sure all my tutorials are up to date and work on the latest version of Blender so new users don't have to wonder if it will work.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Tutorials