blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Moding games

Moding games

Postby BlendMe » February 9th, 2012, 3:53 pm

As I continue to learn about blender, I came upon an idea I'd like to at least dabble in and that's graphics modding for games. I have the game FUEL and haven't played the game in such a long time because the graphics are so outdated and the game itself is rather empty. So I wanted to see if I could take the textures and update them as well as the models. My question....

What's the best way of going about finding specific textures that I want to edit as well as models (if I can do that)? Is it possible to really graphically update these textures and models by adding subdivision surfaces, reshaping them and such?

I'll continue to look into how this is all done but so far I came across "Texmod", I'm not sure it's the best way of editing textures but it at least seems to be able to do so and I haven't looked into a way to edit the actual 3D models yet but will do so. All help greatly appreciated :)
BlendMe

Re: Moding games

Postby IrascibleOne » February 11th, 2012, 1:55 pm

I can be done, I think some games would be harder to do than others. I had considered doing this with GTA San Andreas and there are tons of mods for that.

Anyways, you are going to have to figure out where and how to dig into the files for the game. I'd bet every game is different, but once you find the files it should be relatively easy to determine what are sounds, textures, and models and so on. If you've got Windows, it's probably somewhere in your Program Files on the C drive.

The next problem will most likely be getting those files open. With GTA, textures and models are inside files that you can't open without a special program. I never got as far as making new textures or adding models, (only using other modder's stuff) but I'd guess it would just involve taking those textures, using them as templates for your new ones and then replacing the original files with your own (after backing up the originals, of course).

Now, that is just from what I have seen with GTA, which has a huge following and still has many people modding the game, so they have lots of tools and people who can help. For all I know, Fuel might be wildly different and it might be much harder to find info on it.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Moding games

Postby BlendMe » February 11th, 2012, 8:07 pm

Thanks IrascibleOne, that seems to be the problem I'm having...accessing the files. I'm hoping there's an sdk or something I can find from ASOBO or Codemasters but until I find a way to access the files I guess I'm stuck like chuck XD
BlendMe

Return to Blender 3D