blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Blender / STL / PLANO

Blender / STL / PLANO

Postby harrygb » January 26th, 2014, 8:43 am

Dear Sirs,

I am trying to convert an STL file to which has a high level of faces. I am trying to convert this item to a Plano form. How is such a conversion made?

Thanks and best,

Harry
harrygb

Re: Blender / STL / PLANO

Postby IrascibleOne » January 26th, 2014, 5:31 pm

I've heard of an STL file format, but what is Plano? I can't seem find anything about it through Google other than the company and a city in Texas. I'd love to help, but don't really have a clue where to start.

And welcome to DS!
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby harrygb » January 27th, 2014, 7:24 am

Hi,

Thanks for your message. I am trying to minimize the number of faces to approx. 20.000 now they are 400.000 on the object i have. Planar just means without the "round faces" as the item is to complex to convert from .stl to another,

Thanks and best,

Harry
harrygb

Postby IrascibleOne » January 27th, 2014, 10:33 am

Ah, I see now. Have you tried the decimate modifier? You can set the ratio to get exactly the number of you are shooting for. It does appear to have a planar setting too, but it does create n-gon faces. Not sure if that is a problem for you.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby harrygb » January 27th, 2014, 12:54 pm

Great many thanks! I'm quite new to the program, in what drop down menu would I pins that?

Thanks,
harrygb

Postby harrygb » January 27th, 2014, 12:55 pm

Sorry... Find that
harrygb

Postby IrascibleOne » January 28th, 2014, 12:49 am

When you select your object, you'll want to go to the modifiers panel in the properties sidebar by clicking on the blue wrench icon. Then you select the Decimate modifier from the list. I put an image here if that doesn't make sense.

Untitled-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Blender 3D