blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

BlenderGuru UI Proposal

BlenderGuru UI Proposal

Postby IrascibleOne » October 15th, 2013, 11:56 am

Anyone here been following the series of videos and podcasts Andrew has been making over at BlenderGuru?

I've been a little wary about doing new tutorials if there are going to be changes made to the interface. I'd have to sift through all the tutorials again as well, just to make sure they are up to date. Although, I have to say, the fact that I can update my tutorials fairly easily, unlike the video tutorials at other sites, feels like a really good thing.

Even so, I'm excited. Andrew is one of the few people in the community that I think can see this through and actually get enough people to back him up. What do you guys think?
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BlenderGuru UI Proposal

Postby brektzar » October 16th, 2013, 5:45 am

I believe that some of the things that he talks about are valid, but i really dont think an interface change will be coming any time soon. It wasnt that long ago that they released the shiny 2.5 interface. For now i think they will focus on the actuall functionality of Blender as a program for artists, not beginners.

But i am glad that someone like Andrew is trying to fix things, because as you say he is one of few people who can get it done.

[EDIT]

After watching his new video with his suggestions i decided that i really want what he suggested.. :P
Those are true improvements to the UI instead of a completely new one, so i am all for this change :P
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » October 17th, 2013, 4:55 pm

I was excited to see what he came up with, but now I feel a little less enthusiastic. He's suggesting a larger change than I expected. I guess I thought we would see something a little bit closer to what we already have. Instead I feel like what he has come up with will take a very long time to implement and will result in too much backlash by a portion of the community to actually convince Ton and the Foundation to fully go through with it.

That said, I do like the vast majority of the changes, especially if it's as customizable as Blender is now. It feels very much like a mashup between Photoshop and Microsoft Office, two pieces of software that I like quite a bit.

I guess we shall see what happens now. I suppose now it's just a matter of waiting to hear what the Blender Foundation says and whether or not someone will step up to implement some of this.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » October 18th, 2013, 10:44 am

I think that what he proposed could be a very good improvement to the original interface. And i think a lot of people will agree with that, but as you say there are a lot of people used to the old interface who might not want it changed..

I do hope it will change though.. :P After i saw his ideas i realized it needed to change.
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby Renix » October 22nd, 2013, 3:46 pm

I too was surprised by how big of a change the new UI is supposed to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... WacQrEcMHk

It's really a double-edged sword. If we're talking about terms of tutorials, then yes, old tutorials will need a huge updated to accommodate the new UI. I remember managing between the UI changes from 2.4x to 2.5+ was a pain in the neck.
The good part is that in the future, Blender3D should become more interface friendly. One of the reasons why I'm hesitant to introduce people to Blender3D is that not only would I have to teach them the fundamentals of 3D, but I would also have to teach them how to use Blender3D and all of its little quirks as well. Hopefully a new UI may eliminate that learning curve and save us some time.
Renix
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blender 3D