blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Teaching Blender at Grebbestad Folkhögskola

Teaching Blender at Grebbestad Folkhögskola

Postby brektzar » April 12th, 2013, 2:17 pm

I have been tasked with teaching Blender for two days to the graphics students in my school.
And i had also been tasked with submitting an image for an open house sort of thing, i chose the watch for that.

And since the other students will know about the watch i decided to talk to them a bit about how i made it. I will be talking about how making one part at a time really takes the load off when modelling, try to get them into thinking that one part of the watch is one piece of the puzzle.
If you try to finish the puzzle several pieces at a time you wont make it. But if you take it one piece at a time its easier and faster to actually solve the puzzle. And working with the most obvious pieces first is also a good idea.

So i took my watch and separated all the loose parts of it and rendered it in 2k resolution so you can see all the pieces, some of the pieces are moved closer to the camera. I also wrote all the names of the different parts in the render to show them that naming objects in a scene you are serious about is a good idea, it helps you keep track of what is what and which material to give it.

Ok, thats it :P
What do you guys think?
Do you think its a good idea to use some of the time to talk about this?

Some of the parts got distorted in the render, i guess thats due to the perspective..
Here is the render of all the parts of my watch:
SHOW SPOILER
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Re: Teaching Blender at Grebbestad Folkhögskola

Postby IrascibleOne » April 12th, 2013, 9:33 pm

That's pretty sweet! :clap:

Yeah, I definitely think that is good to bring up. For me, that's a huge deal when it comes modeling. Go piece by piece, building them one-by-one, and then bring them together. Makes something that seems daunting into something that is much more manageable and easier to edit later on.

Naming is definitely a good thing to bring up too. Lot's of people/beginners overlook that, I still do sometimes :silent: , but it's definitely good practice to do it. Especially on more complex projects.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » April 14th, 2013, 9:50 am

Good, i didnt expect to be assigned something like this :P And i have never really tried to actually teach Blender from the pure basics to a finished model. We will see if it turns out ok.
If they give their permission i might just upload the work they do during the two days, but thats only if they agree to it.

I spent some time talking to a few of the graphics students about Blender and some of them are quite interested in trying 3D.
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » April 14th, 2013, 10:38 pm

I've always felt nervous when tasked with teaching or helping someone learn something, I always worry whether or not I am saying something stupid. Most of the time though, I've found I know way more than I thought I did. Considering the stuff you've posted here, I'm sure you'll do great. :thumbup:

Yay, creating new Blenderheads! I always think it's pretty cool how people are interested in Blender when I bring it up. Really seems to perk people up when I talk about it.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » April 15th, 2013, 5:20 am

Yeah, people have this urge to create i guess :P
These guys are incredibly talented when it comes to painting so im hoping they keep it up in Blender aswell after the class is over :P It is only two days but i will recommend the most obvious sites for tutorials. DS being one of those :P
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Return to Blender 3D