blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Mac OSX Mountain Lion and Blender3D

Mac OSX Mountain Lion and Blender3D

Postby asc3D » March 5th, 2013, 10:25 am

Hi!

Can anyone please help me. I am using an Apple iMac with an AMD Radeon graphics card with 2MB with Blender. I recently upgraded from Mac OSX Lion to Mountain Lion (Mac OSX 10.8.2) and ever since Blender has slowed down to the point where it is almost impossible to work with it. I get the whirling Rainbow ball with the simplest of commands and operations and the graphics in the 3D viewport no longer 'flow' but 'judder' along, as if I had no memory, (I have 12 MB of RAM). Is Mountain Lion compatible with Blender3D. On the Blender Foundation website, it says it is for Mac OSX 10.6+, so I assumed that there was no problem.

I would greatly appreciate it, if anyone can tell what what the problem is and how to fix it. Thanks!
asc3D

Re: Mac OSX Mountain Lion and Blender3D

Postby brektzar » March 6th, 2013, 4:28 am

I assume you mean 12 gigabytes of RAM, right?
I would suggest a clean install of Blender and the dependencies like python.
Im no Mac person so i cant really tell you what might be wrong but it sounds to me like youre using upp all of your RAM like you said. Try to figure out how much RAM youre using with Blender on and compare it to when Blender is shut down.

You could also try to do this, its for leopard but it might work on lion too.
http://www.blendernation.com/2008/02/22 ... rd-solved/
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby asc3D » March 6th, 2013, 10:31 am

Thanks for the reply, brektzar! Yes, I did mean 12 gigabytes. I have downloaded Blender 2.66 from the Blender Foundation site a couple of times and reinstalled it and still got the same result as before i.e. a worse than slow performance. At the top of the Blender header, I can see |MEM: 657.30 M (9.98M)| on the current file, which I have opened. I am not quite sure what these numbers refer to. The MEM: 657.30 M can't be the RAM, can it, because, as I say I have 12 GB of RAM on board my iMac. Does the (9.98M) refer to the size of the Blender file opened or the amount of RAM it is using? As I said, it feels like I am running out of memory, but with 12 GB of RAM, I would be amazed if that is the case.

I have had a look at that website, thanks. My problem is that I am not a technical person and have never looked beyond the Blender user interface or looked at the Developer Kit. (I guess I might have to if that is the only solution!)

Take care!
asc3D

Postby brektzar » March 6th, 2013, 11:53 am

The larger number would probably be the RAM youre using. But are you using 600 all the time or just in that specific file? In a new file it shouldnt even be close to that. but it all depends on what you have in your file and what youre currently doing.

As i dont know much about Mac i cant really help you out with this. Send a PM to DJM, he is on a mac, dont know if its lion or leopard though. He MIGHT know what to do.
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Return to Blender 3D