blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Alien project.

Alien project.

Postby bonrw1 » January 28th, 2015, 12:35 pm

Hey all! I thought I would make a WIP thread of my most recent doodle. Sculpted in Blender, retopo in blender, UVs in blender, texturing in mudbox, and shading in cycles. I will next work on eyes, and then create the scene around it. I wanted to sculpt something other then a human head, so I decided to do an alien. :P Working on the shader now. Any suggestions and crit are welcome. thanks :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bonrw1
Useful
Useful

Re: Alien project.

Postby brektzar » January 28th, 2015, 1:48 pm

I would add some variation in the geometry between left and right sides of the head, it kinda looks exactly the same on both sides, imperfection is perfection in these cases :P

Also, you could have another texture over the veins\scars on it, i think it would add a lot of detail as long as its not overdone.

But, its looking really cool :D
I also made a few aliens :P Theyre fun to make, no worries about anything, an alien can look like a soda can with antlers if it feels like it :D
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby bonrw1 » January 28th, 2015, 2:18 pm

brektzar wrote:I would add some variation in the geometry between left and right sides of the head, it kinda looks exactly the same on both sides, imperfection is perfection in these cases :P

Also, you could have another texture over the veins\scars on it, i think it would add a lot of detail as long as its not overdone.

But, its looking really cool :D
I also made a few aliens :P Theyre fun to make, no worries about anything, an alien can look like a soda can with antlers if it feels like it :D

I totally agree with you about the other texture, but it's kind of hard to do, because mudbox isn't exactly like Zbrush, where you can go up to any level of multires, and when you paint on that high level, it won't even lag a bit! but if you have a really high res mesh in mudbox, and try to paint over it, it will be a bit laggy. But I could always try it, It will take longer, but it will look better ;) And yeah, I will change the thing about the eyes :P Maybe not so much, because I want him to be kind of symmetrical on both sides, but I think it looks too much like he has a mirror on :P I am also going to do the lattice trick, and get a better pose for the bust, that will make it look a little more natural. Thanks so much for you're feedback, I should have a turntable and an updated image by tomorrow! Thanks for you're input ;)

-Bon
bonrw1
Useful
Useful

Postby brektzar » January 29th, 2015, 7:11 am

I would probably use Blender to bake the AO\normals to a map, put that map in gimp and do it that way, you can also use the AO\normal map for other stuff to make it even more awesome.

Blender has all the tools you need, mudbox and zbrush are not needed :P
Difference between mudbox and zbrush, if i remember correctly, zbrush uses voxels when sculpting, which is why its lag free where mudbox uses traditional geometry. Mudbox is good for alot of stuff but zbrush is better and faster imo.
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby bonrw1 » January 29th, 2015, 10:59 am

brektzar wrote:I would probably use Blender to bake the AO\normals to a map, put that map in gimp and do it that way, you can also use the AO\normal map for other stuff to make it even more awesome.

Blender has all the tools you need, mudbox and zbrush are not needed :P
Difference between mudbox and zbrush, if i remember correctly, zbrush uses voxels when sculpting, which is why its lag free where mudbox uses traditional geometry. Mudbox is good for alot of stuff but zbrush is better and faster imo.

Sure, sounds good! And mudbox is way better then blender only for it's texture painting, and Zbrush is amazing because you can make highly detailed models. It would be great if blender used Voxels too.. Would they ever do that I wonder?
bonrw1
Useful
Useful

Postby bonrw1 » January 29th, 2015, 11:01 am

A little update, added a few veins, and details..
And here's a wire too:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bonrw1
Useful
Useful

Postby bonrw1 » January 29th, 2015, 3:27 pm

Okay, so I started work on the eyes! and fixed some stuff with the textures, tweaked the shader etc.
bonrw1
Useful
Useful

Postby brektzar » January 30th, 2015, 3:33 pm

The eyes look really nice and shiny! :D

Just thought of something, why do you have super hard edges around the nose?
I would try to soften them down a little bit to make the transition between nose and rest of the face less harsh :P
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Return to Works in Progress