blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Ferrari 599 GTB

Ferrari 599 GTB

Postby stardavid » March 23rd, 2014, 6:24 am

Hi all,
Here's my progress on the car. I have only done the front of the car. The down part of the car isn't smooth like the real car, so what do you think I should do to make it smooth. Its actually low poly. Any comment will be appreciated.
Thank you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stardavid
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Ferrari 599 GTB

Postby IrascibleOne » March 23rd, 2014, 12:07 pm

It looks like you are using triangles, maybe? Which are perfectly fine if you are going low poly, but if they are stretched out they tend mess up the smoothness of your mesh. Even triangle-like quads or streched/distorted quads will do this. In general, you want to keep your quads/tris square-ish. Maybe another way to say it is the angles at the vertices should closer to 90 degrees than not (or 45 for tris, I guess). Does that make sense? It's not a hard rule or anything, but I think it helps.

Other than that, the standard thing to do is a subdivision surface modifier with all of your mesh set to smooth shading. Once you do that, you'll need to mark the sharper edges with Edge Crease (Shift-E) or by making Loop Cuts (Ctrl-R). However, loop cuts won't work well, if at all, if you have triangles.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stardavid » March 24th, 2014, 8:37 am

Ok thanks. May be I would use snipping tool to increase the vertices on the places that are not smooth and if that does not work I will try and change the position of the vertice as you said. If that does not work I will have to use subdivision and I have to watch my poly count.
Thank you
stardavid
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stardavid » March 24th, 2014, 8:46 am

And also if I do not make it smooth, will it affect the rendering if I render it?
stardavid
Contributor
Contributor

Postby IrascibleOne » March 24th, 2014, 12:19 pm

Most likely. If all of your vertices are set to smooth shading (as opposed to flat) and you have subdivision surface on, then you shouldn't have any sharp edges (outside of the ones you define with edge crease and/or loop cuts). However, if your mesh itself isn't smooth/clean enough, then you will see bumps and lumps where you don't want them.

The final render is what counts though, so if it looks alright to you in the final render, then you don't have to mess with it anymore. If not, then you have to keep fiddling with it.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stardavid » May 2nd, 2014, 2:37 pm

Hi, is it possible to model a car without the top view and using only the side, front and back view?
stardavid
Contributor
Contributor

Postby IrascibleOne » May 2nd, 2014, 9:01 pm

Yep! In general, the top probably isn't absolutely necessary, but it can make things a little easier.

I think the main issue you might be where the top view makes certain areas easier to see and easier to position things more precisely (flatter areas of the car). Then there may be areas that are only visible from the top (a sunroof, hood vents, maybe?), then you'll have to find photos of the car and do you best to replicate it. So long as it looks good, it doesn't have to be precise.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stardavid » May 5th, 2014, 12:40 am

thanks
stardavid
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Works in Progress