blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Pirate Models

Pirate Models

Postby IrascibleOne » March 17th, 2014, 6:25 pm

Been a little into pirates lately for some reason. I've also been wanting to get back into modeling and texturing, so here we go! A thread for my pirate stuff.

Here is the first completed item, rope! No images used, 100% procedural textures in Cycles. Fun stuff!
rope3.png

Close up, particle hair doesn't hold up here, but the rest looks pretty nice, I think.
rope4.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pirate Stuff

Postby brektzar » March 17th, 2014, 8:00 pm

Nice rope!
Did you use the velvet shader on it?
I really like how cycles have improved since its release. and the addition of procedural textures and strand rendering is just epic :P

One thing i think can be improved(if its gonna be close to the camera) is to have more than one rope coiled in, if you get what im trying to say xD Ropes made from several smaller ropes gradually down to string, sort of :P But im unsure if thats doable in a good way with procedural textures without using lots of extra polys.

It looks really good as it is though, i just looked super close :P
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » March 17th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Just a diffuse and a glossy and some textures. Although, it does look quite like the velvet.

The smaller strands is kinda of what I tried to simulate, but it doesn't quite cut it up close. I used a mesh to make three ropes coiled around each other, then used a wave texture (set to 'bands') to try and simulate smaller strands and then did another wave texture to go even smaller. I also used the dirty vertex technique with a noise texture to get some variation and some dirty spots on it.

I probably will tweak it more later, but at some point I'll upload the file and everyone can see my node setup.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » March 18th, 2014, 7:24 am

Is there a poly cap for them? If not you could probably use the displace modifier to make the bumps actual bumps.

But i dont think that much tweaking is needed, the rope is looking good as is, especially the second image. perhaps a few more particle strands with variation in color could help though?
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » March 18th, 2014, 10:01 pm

Ah, I didn't think about using displace, I should try that out.

Anyways, here's the next model, a simple barrel. All materials and textures are procedural. Colors are fairly easy to adjust. Quite proud of the wood texture I came out with. Will probably post this model on the site at some point as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » March 19th, 2014, 6:59 am

The barrel looks really good :)
Are you going to put these in a scene?
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » March 19th, 2014, 7:57 am

Yeah, that seems to be where I'm headed, but it's just components so far. I have part of a lantern/lamp and dock posts modeled (but not textured) and I want to make a bunch of pirate flags and banners too. I figure it's a good chance to do something for myself, try to learn procedural textures really well, and to build a lot of content for the site at the same time.

That'll mean a bunch of models, maybe a few tutorials, and something to post in the soon to be updated gallery.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » March 19th, 2014, 9:59 am

If you want to learn procedural textures really well i think youre going in the right direction. Making a bunch of very different models that require different types of textures and materials is probably the best way.
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » March 20th, 2014, 6:54 pm

Now I have a pirate's banner! Like the others, this is all procedural outside of the decals. The amount of holes and deterioration is adjustable and it should be fairly simple to use the same material on other shapes of flags and banners (which I plan on doing).

If anything, I'd like to work on making the holes look a bit more ragged. They seem too smooth close up, but look alright if you are farther away from the banner.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » March 21st, 2014, 2:32 am

very nice! The procedural holes is kinda cool :P I do agree with you, they look too smooth. But thats only if i look at it in full size :P So as you said further away this works.
It looks like a nice texture on the black and white cloth as well.

Great job so far! Cant wait to see more! :D
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Next
Return to Works in Progress