blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Pirate Models

Re: Pirate Stuff

Postby IrascibleOne » March 22nd, 2014, 12:44 am

Some updates to the flag/banner texture. I figured out how to make the hole edges ragged using crude edge detection with alpha in the color ramp for the holes. Not sure if it is the best way, but it works alright. Also added some subtle dirt with a noise texture. Hard to see in these images though.

Also made a handful of flag and banner shapes, just for fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pirate Models

Postby IrascibleOne » March 22nd, 2014, 9:23 pm

Lantern! Renders are of the same exact lantern, other than the fact that the lamp is on in the night version. Fairly pleased with how the glass looks even though it is still quite fuzzy in these pics. Not so happy about the metal parts though. Will probably tweak that some more in the future.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » March 23rd, 2014, 1:56 am

Nice progress!

The new ragged holes are awesome, please do share your setups ;)

The lantern, could you render it with more samples? The one thats not lit i mean. In the preview it looks like the glass is kinda grungy which would be cool but in the full pic you have some fireflies.
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » March 23rd, 2014, 11:33 am

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I had it at 2500 samples with caustics turned off, clamp at 10, and filter glossy set to 10, but it was still pretty fuzzy. I just found a denoiser method this morning (http://cgcookie.com/blender/2014/02/25/noise-reduction-compositor/) that I think I am going to try. Will post an update when I do so.

And yes, I will share all of these. I'm planning on posting a model per week in the main part of the site and hopefully a tutorial every two weeks or so, but I want to stockpile a handful of them first so that I still have stuff to share when I don't have time to make things. I really want to prevent or at least shorten the periods of silence like the one we just went through.

UPDATE: Here's a cleaner version, 6400 samples this time. Tried the noise reduction, but I think I had so many samples that it didn't do much of anything. May try it on a lower sample count and see how it works later.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » March 24th, 2014, 3:05 am

It looks cool, sort of like frosted glass. I suggest trying to add more light if you want to use less samples though, since thise is only to show the item more light wont matter that much.
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » March 26th, 2014, 10:07 pm

I posted the super awesome rope up on the site. Considering making a tutorial to go with it, not sure yet.

=====

Yeah, it's a bit more frosted than I wanted. The idea was to have a smoke/burned effect on it, as if the candle smoke was making it dirty but I guess it was so fuzzy in the other renders that I assumed it was alright.

More light is a good idea, I remember running into that when reading up on fuzzy renders. Probably has been my problem the whole time. Feeling like a noob again, working through all this stuff. It's great!
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby IrascibleOne » March 29th, 2014, 7:02 pm

Treasure chest! Not happy with it at all though. The metal I just can't seem to get right. Probably could scuff up the wood a bit too, but that shouldn't be too hard. Will probably go hunting on the web for something.

Like the others, it's all procedural textures. The wood is mostly the same wood from the barrel.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » March 30th, 2014, 2:59 am

Could you perhaps use the same method on the metal that you use on the wood, instead of a wood texture you use a set of cloud textures that show wear and tear?

Kinda like my old watch :P Only better.
http://brektzar.deviantart.com/art/A-ru ... -150464821
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » March 31st, 2014, 11:02 pm

I could try that. I'll think I'll see how that works when I get back to it.

In other news, I posted the file for the flags on the site. I also made a quick video:
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby IrascibleOne » April 3rd, 2014, 10:30 pm

I made some updates to the lantern and the treasure chest. The issue I was having with the treasure chest was actually pretty dumb. I have the lighting up blisteringly high for some reason, so one I turned that down to more reasonable levels, things were a lot easier to adjust. :roll:
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext
Return to Works in Progress