blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Blender GE Ipo Animation

Blender GE Ipo Animation

Postby 3LeggedDog » September 7th, 2011, 9:08 am

I am making this post to show how easy it is to use Ipo animations in the game engine. Although I am using 2.49b, you should still be able to follow along in any other version of Blender. (Two files are available for download at the end of this posting; 2.49b, and Blender 2.59.)

Open Blender (Default settings). Once it's open, put your mouse pointer over the bar at the very top of your screen. Now hold down the left control button and press the left arrow key (this will bring up the entire set of animation editors). Place your mouse cursor inside the central 3d window and press the "1" key on the numbers pad to change to front view. Using the image below as a reference:

1. Make sure you are in textured mode.
2. Make sure you are on frame 1.
3. Change the end frame from 250 to 60.

set up.JPG

We are now ready to make the Ipo. See the little key button with the yellow block, click on that. When it opens up, click on Location to set the keyframe, as is shown in the following images.

key.JPG
Loc.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3LeggedDog
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Blender GE Ipo Animation

Postby 3LeggedDog » September 7th, 2011, 9:15 am

Now you must reset the frame for the next key, and then move, scale, or rotate the cube. However, be advised that if you move the object first, and then try to change the frame number, the object will only move back to where is was and no new key can be made. The frame number must be set first. Using the images below, follow these steps to create the Ipo animation.

1. Change the frame number in the current frame box to 30.
2 We now want to move the cube. Left click on the blue arrow in the 3d window and drag the cube upward.
3. Click on the key with the yellow block again, and click Location again, to set the new key.

key2.JPG

We need one more key.

1. Change the frame setting from 30 up to 60.
2. Now, instead of trying to move the cube back, I will allow Blender to do it for me. Click on Object, at the bottom of the 3d window, and then click on Clear/Apply, and then click on Clear Location. This will make the cube move back to it's beginning position.
3. Click on the key button again, and click Location to set the last key.

key3.JPG

clear.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3LeggedDog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 3LeggedDog » September 7th, 2011, 9:22 am

The animation is now finished. I'm sure you'd like to view it.

1. Reset the frame in the box to 1, which is the starting frame of the animation.
2. Click on the Play key to view the animation in the 3d window. (The Play button will become a Stop button as soon as you press Play - so you can stop the animation; or you can put your mouse cursor in the 3d window and press the "esc" key.)

play.JPG

Ok, time to put the animation in the game engine.

1. Click on the little blue pack man to change the bottom screen to the game engine editor.
2. Add a Sensor, Controler and Actuator by clicking all three of the Add buttons.
3, Click and drag from the left pippet to the right dimple to make a connection from the Sensor to the Controller, and also for the Controller to the Actuator.
4. Reset the Actuator from Motion to Ipo, and from Play to LoopEnd, and reset the End Frame to 60.

game engine.JPG

Now place your mouse cursor in the 3d window and press the "p" key to watch the animation in the game engine. Press the "esc" key when you have finished viewing the animation.

All done! Now, what about those other items in that key menu? You could have rotated the cube, and recorded that, or rotated it. You can do the same thing with just images, or even sounds. Resize works, too:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=715

Oh, one last thing. I'm not exactly sure how you get back to the default editor setup. I do know that if you use the ctrl+left arrow key combo again Blender will switch to a different editor setup, and with enough such changes, will eventually bring you back to the default editor setup.
Good Luck!
Last edited by 3LeggedDog on September 7th, 2011, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
3LeggedDog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 3LeggedDog » September 7th, 2011, 9:26 am

Here are the files:

2.49b
GE Ipo Animation1.zip

GE Ipo Animation2.zip

:Dance:
3LeggedDog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby IrascibleOne » September 7th, 2011, 11:21 am

Nice tut, very easy to follow. I haven't used the game engine in a while, hope I can find time to get back into it sometime soon.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Blender Game Engine