blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Blender game engine, no shading?

Blender game engine, no shading?

Postby wagnerpf » September 3rd, 2011, 6:28 am

Hey guys, when I hit play in the blender game engine, my models lose their shading, textures, and just become very basic colored objects. I tried switching the shading under "display" to GLSL but that hasn't really helped.

Edit: Do I have to use UV mapping for all blender game engine texture and shading?

Edit: I resolved the shading issue which was due to a default UV map a lot of my objects came with when I imported them, the texture is the only issue. I'm guessing if you want "textures" you'll need to project them on objects with UV maps?
wagnerpf
Starting Out
Starting Out

Re: Blender game engine, no shading?

Postby IrascibleOne » September 3rd, 2011, 11:10 am

I believe so. I had a book that had a chapter on the game engine and I had to bake everything to a UV texture for each and every object. I don't remember if it explicitly said that the process was required, but I just assumed you do and/or the it is the standard when it comes to making games. I don't know much beyond that.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby wagnerpf » September 4th, 2011, 12:32 pm

So is it possible to give your UV map geometry (actually raise or lower the image projection along the surface rather than just project a picture that looks like a texture.)
wagnerpf
Starting Out
Starting Out

Postby 3LeggedDog » September 4th, 2011, 1:14 pm

I don't know exactly how all these things are accomplished for the game engine, but I do know from the several thousands posts I've read that all of the following are possible using the GLSL shadders.

You can bake a low poly model and make it look like a high poly model:

http://www.tutorialsforblender3d.com/Ga ... index.html

And you can use the full range of texture file types, and all of those can be baked into one image. (I haven't actually learned to bake anything yet :shifty: )

http://www.gameblender.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1800

Advanced texture settings will become available when you have UVed your textures, and you can then set the amount of light scattering, (and the height from the surface of any texture applied) etc.

You should also be aware that you are supposed to have 3 light sources to get all the shadding effects GLSL can produce within the GE.

Good luck!
3LeggedDog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wagnerpf » September 7th, 2011, 7:10 am

Awesome, thanks for the help!
wagnerpf
Starting Out
Starting Out

Return to Blender Game Engine