blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Game Engine

Game Engine

Postby haanswors » May 11th, 2009, 11:45 pm

hi all, how would i beable to cast shadows on textures in the game engine. i have managed to cast the shadows but it does not cast when i have a uv texture applied. as soon as i delete the texture and just add a meterial coulor then i get the shadow. thanks all
haanswors

Re: game engine

Postby Nismo » May 12th, 2009, 1:57 am

I think you would have to bake them though i'm not sure about how you'd do that. You might also be able to us GLSL but i'm not an expert on that either.

Nismo

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

"Three blind mice walk into a pub. But they are unaware of their surroundings, so to derive humour from it would be exploitative." - Bill Bailey
Nismo
Pro
Pro

Postby IrascibleOne » May 13th, 2009, 8:25 pm

I dunno if anyone here has done textures and shadows and whatnot in the Game Engine. I did it before on a old version of Blender but I haven't been able to do so since. I don't understand why it doesn't work, I tested all the settings like the GLSL and all that but I don't really know. I've never gotten to the point were I absolutely needed textures or anything to look right.

As much as I would like to give you a better answer, this place has a bunch of tutorials for the game engine that goes over that sort of stuff. The only problem is that it doesn't give any explanation for the steps it tells you to take.

http://www.tutorialsforblender3d.com/Game_Engine/Tutorials_index.html
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dictator-for-life » May 14th, 2009, 3:48 pm

Hey, sorry for the delayed response, meant to answer you sooner. Hope you are still checking here for an answer!

Here is what I would do, but I haven't tried it yet. Try it out and see if it works:

1. Don't apply any materials.
2. UV map your texture.
3. Make sure the UV Mapping works in the game engine.
4. Select mesh and go into edit mode.
5. Go into the Editing Toolbar (F9)
6. Find the box with Multires.
7. In the box with Multires, you'll find another tab called Texture Face. Select it.
8. Select Light (which enables real-time lighting on faces) and Shadow (which creates a fake shadow).

Done!

Hope this helps, and I am very curious to know what you are using the engine for.

And offtopic: Perhaps it's time that I write another game tutorial?
"Along with 'Antimatter,' and 'Dark Matter,' we've recently discovered the existence of 'Doesn't Matter,' which appears to have no effect on the universe whatsoever." -The 5th Wave
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Postby haanswors » May 14th, 2009, 10:39 pm

Hi thanks Dictator-for-life, i tried your method but can't get it to work. i have actually found a way to have textures and shadows by enabling "blender GLSL Materials" under the game menu, adding a material and then applying the UV after and it works with a spot light. i found a tut on it. i am busy creating a virtual walkthrough gallery of our company products with interactive content of our stock. only just started and testing a few things before i get stuck in. here is a link to a zip file which includes my blend file if you wanna have a nosey....

http://cid-47686f7cc3ce770c.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/ZARRB%20GALLERY.zip?lc=5129
haanswors

Postby Dictator-for-life » May 15th, 2009, 4:01 pm

Sorry my method didn't work, currently I am working off of a laptop that doesn't have a graphics card that supports GLSL, still working on that.. :whistle: Glad you got your answer in the end though. I shall keep that in mind.

I didn't mean to impose, was just wondering.. :oops:
I DID check the file though, but I couldn't really see anything because the UV Images were missing. You should pack them into the .blend file, but you don't need to do it so I can see it. Just a general suggestion. I think I get the idea though.
"Along with 'Antimatter,' and 'Dark Matter,' we've recently discovered the existence of 'Doesn't Matter,' which appears to have no effect on the universe whatsoever." -The 5th Wave
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Game Engine

Postby themitchel0 » August 2nd, 2010, 12:22 pm

well if this you are reading this and havent found a answer yet i suggest you check out this video
http://www.vimeo.com/2745768
themitchel0
Pro
Pro

Return to Blender Game Engine