blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

How powerful Bge is?

How powerful Bge is?

Postby yaz » October 1st, 2014, 10:05 am

Hi, i am new to blender and to this website as well.i don't have any previous experiences with any of the other 3d modelling sw's....but i was pretty impressed with the potential of blender -more or less a 100 mb application does almost the same things as other 1 to 2 gb sized maya and max-.those short movies!like sintel, tos were also visually stunning!

but i was just thinking about the power of game engine...can it match with frostbite and cryengine like applications!so far i didn't heard any of the famous game titles made in bge...can it produce good graphics rendering like the ones in nfs mw 2012, rivals and so on?
yaz
Still New
Still New

Re: How powerful Bge is?

Postby djm » October 1st, 2014, 11:14 am

Greetings and welcome to DS! :D

First and foremost; BGE is not a industry "class Game Engine", so no - you can not match it with Cryengine, Unreal Engine, Frostbite and so forth. However, you can make visually stunning games if you have the skills and knowledge required to do so: very good Python skills.

Python is necessary to code your own shaders for your games, and create the atmosphere most AAA games have nowadays. Texture-wise it's up to you how nice you want it; then add it to the game. As far as advanced shading "reflections, refraction" etc goes that's very depending on how far you want to go with the Python code. Keep in mind though; the BGE can't handle too much information at the same time without causing slight lag or major framedrops where a lot of stuff is going on. It's very easy to make the Game Engine lag if not handled with care (you can go all in with low poly models, but if you want very nice looking models like for example NFS MW 2012 or even Crysis 1-3 you'll have to look for another alternative like Unity or UDK).

There is actually a game on Steam that was created using the Blender Game Engine. I'll look it up for you and edit this post when I find it!
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby IrascibleOne » October 1st, 2014, 12:32 pm

Welcome Yaz! :wave:

To add to DJM's post, the Blender Foundation has been putting lots of work into the Blender Game Engine lately because Valve and Epic have donated a lot of money. Take a look at the release notes and you can see the improvements to just the game engine since their donations:

2.70: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:R ... evelopment
2.71: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:R ... ame_Engine
2.72: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:R ... evelopment

I doubt Blender will ever be on par with high end game engines but if Valve and Epic sees value in supporting Blender software, then other companies could see that as well and push Blender much closer. Also, with the Gooseberry project providing a ton of improvements elsewhere in Blender, there is a lot to look forward to right now.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby yaz » October 1st, 2014, 6:39 pm

Hi,Thank you for your reply,friends...i just watched some fps games powered by blender.but they were awsome....is it possible to create a game like assassins creed+i mean not the graphics and storyline but the environment-so that i can just free roam there in 15 th century...so far i've seen, there is no game in blender of this type!

isn't there any reputation button in here?
Last edited by yaz on October 1st, 2014, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yaz
Still New
Still New

Postby IrascibleOne » October 1st, 2014, 9:47 pm

I don't see why not. If you think about it, a free roam is essentially like any other game level, just really, really, big. Outside of that, I think the primary difference would be loading/unloading parts of the world while you are running around in it so it doesn't bog down your computer. That may be possible with the Levels of Detail logic brick. If not, one can always write a Python script. Of course, that's probably an oversimplification, as I have not done something like that before.

As for the reputation button, yes. It is the heart/like button (with the number next to it) on the top right of each post. Each like adds 1 point to the persons reputation score. Also if you are looking for your current rep score, I'm still working on displaying one's reputation score in the forum at the moment.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby yaz » October 1st, 2014, 9:54 pm

oh i see....nice
sorry but,
Levels of
Detail logic brick

means !

and have you seen my work on progress!
yaz
Still New
Still New

Postby IrascibleOne » October 1st, 2014, 10:24 pm

You're asking what the level of detail tool is, yes? From what I understand it lets you switch between high and low poly models as you get closer or farther away from it in the game. I'm just guessing that it will also let you hide the model when you a set distance away from it. Again, I haven't used that tool in Blender personally, so I could be wrong.

And yep, I'm checking it out right now!
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby yaz » October 1st, 2014, 10:29 pm

ah!now i get what does it means! :)
yaz
Still New
Still New

Postby djm » October 11th, 2014, 5:41 pm

Just to add to irascible's mention of the level of detail logic brick:
there are several ways of doing this even without this logic brick. However, this logic brick doesn't hide models - it only fiddles with the level of detail.

To hide models you can use the near logic brick combined with a property and the visibility actuator. It's very easy to set up and very handy too, especially if you are planning on making a big game with big environments.
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Return to Blender Game Engine