blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Cycles Render clutter problem

Cycles Render clutter problem

Postby Sazex » April 26th, 2012, 10:23 pm

Ok, so I've been working on a car (Porsche 911 Carrera-s) and I finally added a material so now I tried to render it with cycles, but the problem is that there is a bunch of clutter on the render:

My question: How do I get rid of that destructive clutter??
Sazex
Regular
Regular

Re: Cycles Render clutter problem

Postby djm » April 27th, 2012, 7:06 am

In the Render setting, properties menu, there is a tab called; "integrator". Within this little tab you can change the amount of samples your render/preview will have. The samples = the amount of quality of the render.

When doing previews or test-renders I recommend a low number of samples so you get the idea of what the render will look like. However, when doing your final render make sure you have a high amount of samples to remove all the destructive clutter, as you referred to it yourself.

Note that nodes won't take effect in the image if you haven't reached your maximum number of samples. For example; If you render an image with 500 samples, and you cancel the render at 400, the nodes and everything with it won't take effect, at all. However, if you leave the render be and let it reach 500 the node-effects will take place and the image will look the way it was supposed to.

Hope this helps :)
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby Sazex » April 28th, 2012, 4:24 am

Ah, thank you very much djm,

Would you also happen to know at what samples rate my render would look clean, if my samples were at 10 before? I've tried 100, but it took 20 minutes, and it wasn't even finished! (but the clutter problem was significantly reduced, I bet if I waited longer I could see it perfectly)

In other words, what sample rate do you think is decent?
Sazex
Regular
Regular

Postby djm » April 28th, 2012, 6:02 am

When I do my final-renders with cycles I don't go below 2000. It takes forever but it's worth it. (Don't go for that much unless your certain you can leave the comp be for a while).

EDIT; You might also need to remove fireflies (red clutter) from your final render even with high samples. This is easily done by using photo-editing software such as Photoshop or GIMP.

DeviantArt Profile

djm
Pro
Pro

Postby Sazex » April 28th, 2012, 2:09 pm

Alright thanks, I will try to do the same, of course if I do that, I'm gonna have to preview renders, to make sure I know what I am rendering, I do not know how to preview render, but I'm sure I can google it, I'll edit the post once I find out.

EDIT: Ok, I think I found it, shift+b when in camera view, to select area of preview, then render?
Sazex
Regular
Regular

Postby djm » April 28th, 2012, 3:36 pm

preview render; go to the 3D view and click on the menu where you change viewing-type; "edit mode, wire frame mode, textured etc." and take the 'Rendered' one. Now you'll see a realtime updating preview of your scene. However, this is not recommended to be more than let's say 10 - 15 samples in the preview.

Another way; render bits and pieces as you go - with a small amount of samples.

DeviantArt Profile

djm
Pro
Pro

Postby brektzar » April 29th, 2012, 9:17 am

When i do it i usually set my preview to 0 passes, that makes it go forever, you can just press pause if you want it to stop.

I also set my renders to 5k unless its complicated, in the case i go higher, ive done 50k at most though. The only way to knoe when the render will be clean is to set it high and check once in a while to see if it cleared up, if it didnt just let it continue, if it did, then stop it and save the image.

In cycles you should render in GPU mode if you have an nvidia card, im not sure how well the openCL drivers work with cycles. CPU mode is so slow :P with my card(GTX680) i render real fast :)

It was way faster than CPU when i used GTS450, GTX560 and GTX580, so almost any new GPU thats in the top budget range or above renders faster than most CPUS.

If you share your file i could see how long it takes for it to render on my GPU, unless you own an nvidia card yourself.
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby Sazex » April 29th, 2012, 12:27 pm

I have an nvidia Geforce 9600, but how do I change cycles to render from GPU in blender 2.63?
Because I cant seem to find the option to change it from CPU to GPU, I've seen it in previous versions before 2.62...

Also when I set my samples rate at 100, it took around 20 minutes, how long did your 50k take?

here is my file if you want to take a look:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/oc1m3p
Sazex
Regular
Regular

Postby brektzar » April 29th, 2012, 2:49 pm

I dont remember, but a couple of hours, it was a fairly complex scene, with lots of nodes.

The file you sent has no faces :S all i can see is the edges of your car. and it crashes when i tried to render it.

So i cant really help you...

Change the renderer to cycles, click on the scene icon(its the one wit the camera icon)
then just alittle below the scene button there should be a drop down menu called "Device" click it and choose GPU. then you choose CUDA.
Hope that helps, im about half asleep now so sorry for the rushed guide ^^
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby Sazex » April 29th, 2012, 6:16 pm

Well, there's the problem, that was the way to select the GPU option for me as well, before 2.62, but now in 2.63 the button is no longer there.

I've attached a picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sazex
Regular
Regular

Return to Compositing and Rendering