blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Rendering to create sprites

Rendering to create sprites

Postby wagnerpf » September 7th, 2011, 7:20 am

Given the nature of the game I'm currently trying to create, I've decided to use the character models I've created to render the characters in various positions and then use the rendered images to create a sprite sheet for each character. This looks like it's going to work quite well. My only concern is that when I export the rendered images, my sprite keeps some shades of the rendered horizon color around its borders which I have to remove as best I can. I can do this by hand in my image editor, but I was wondering if anyone had a better suggestion of how I might do this or even remove the horizon color from the rendered image itself. Thanks!
wagnerpf
Starting Out
Starting Out

Re: Rendering to create sprites

Postby 3LeggedDog » September 7th, 2011, 9:44 am

Well, I couldn't find the setting (or even the editor) in 2.59, but in v2.49b there is a "shadeless" setting. Click on shadeless, for each material, before exporting. (It will light up like a candle in GLSL - you might have to reset your light intensity.)

shadeless.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3LeggedDog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wagnerpf » September 7th, 2011, 11:11 am

Well I don't want my shading gone from my material, just the shading of the horizon color (my blank background).
wagnerpf
Starting Out
Starting Out

Postby brektzar » September 7th, 2011, 11:35 am

Change the horizon to black? Shadows are black, or variations of gray so black or gray should help you out. Other than that all i can think of is not to have any enviromental lighting at all, just a lamp from the position you want.
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby wagnerpf » September 7th, 2011, 11:38 am

I've used different grays and blacks but its always visible to some extent given whatever new background the sprite is placed against. I guess removing the outlines by hand might be my best option.

Edit: You know what, I went back to the grey background and I found a good shade that makes the outline difficult to see against darker backgrounds and kinda cool looking against light backgrounds, sort of like cel shading or whatever you call the outline you give things to make them look more cartoony. thanks for the help!
wagnerpf
Starting Out
Starting Out

Return to Compositing and Rendering