blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Halo

Halo

Postby djdustman87 » December 16th, 2011, 4:39 pm

Hello all, happy holidays!

I would like to make a UV sphere glow. When I try to add halo, the whole sphere disappears. Any way to make the sphere appear to have a little bit of a glow?
djdustman87
Starting Out
Starting Out

Re: Halo

Postby IrascibleOne » December 16th, 2011, 7:21 pm

My first instinct when it comes to glowing is to use the compositor.

If you take your sphere in the compositor, blur it like crazy, and up the brightness you can get the glow. After that, overlay the original sphere on top of the glow and you should get a glow around it.

I know that's probably hard to follow if you don't know the compositor very well, especially if you've never used it before, so if that's the case, let us know and maybe I can set up a blend file to show you what I would do.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby djdustman87 » December 17th, 2011, 9:43 am

I will indeed play around with it. Does the compositor work well with texture facing? I work with building game show sets a lot so I would to get an effect of light bulbs with a little bit of glow. Stage lights will get some glow as well.
djdustman87
Starting Out
Starting Out

Postby IrascibleOne » December 17th, 2011, 10:26 pm

Texture facing? I'm not sure I understand.

There are texture nodes, if that's what you mean. However, I don't think you can get glowing textures with them. Then again, I've very rarely ever used texture nodes, so I could be wrong.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby djdustman87 » December 19th, 2011, 6:23 pm

Well here's a weird problem I've run into. Kind of off topic. I made light bulbs for a set. I have them textured via a png. Four white squares, two are transparent (off lights), two are on (on lights). When you are zoomed in close, the lightbulbs (spheres) are correctly textured. Two lightbulbs on, two lightbulbs off. But when the camera is zoomed out, all the textured spheres are way off and some lights are on, some off, and not in the order they're supposed to be on and off.

Is it a camera setting I need to fix?
djdustman87
Starting Out
Starting Out

Postby IrascibleOne » December 19th, 2011, 7:57 pm

Actually my first guess would be something with the texture itself. Maybe the texture mapping, if it is moving relative to the camera. Beyond that, I dunno. I can't remember if I've had that kind of problem before.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby djdustman87 » December 20th, 2011, 5:03 am

Never mind that, I just made new bulbs. It's fine now. I'll show you all the end result later today. It's based off the US TV show "The $100,000 Pyramid."
djdustman87
Starting Out
Starting Out

Return to Materials and Textures