blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Problem with image texture.

Problem with image texture.

Postby Sylvia » November 18th, 2011, 2:02 am

Hello all,

I'm new at the fora, and actually with Blender also.
I'm doing a project which involves making a 3D model, well I made one and it's finished.

It's a vinyl toy, which I unfortunatly cannot show,
because the compagny I'm making it for doesn't want it to come out yet.

But now, my boss wants me to put one of my earlier made designs for the toy to the 3D model.
And they wanted it to be 'projected' on the toy, so that I didn't have to make all the elements for every design.
My eye fell on the image texture option and it works quite proper, except for one thing,
the top seems okay, but at the front it's looking like the image is stretched down.
Not exactly what I had in my mind. I tried to find solutions for it for hours, but nothing.
Also tried things like UV mapping, but that doesn't work at all.

In the attachements are a picture of what I mean witch the stretching... The image has to move downwards instead of stretching out... The other is how the element is suppose to look.

I appreciate all the help.
And excuse me for my english, it's not my first language.

Greetings, Sylvia
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sylvia

Re: Problem with image texture.

Postby IrascibleOne » November 18th, 2011, 9:13 pm

If it's spherical, then you might be able to just change the Projection setting to 'spherical' as opposed to 'Flat'. Otherwise, assuming this isn't just a simple shape, I'd probably say UV mapping is what you'll have to do. What were you having problems with when you tried that? My usual problem is getting the mesh to unwrap nicely.

By the way, Welcome to DS!
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sylvia » November 21st, 2011, 12:29 am

Setting it on spherical instead of flat doesn't work...
The problem with unwrapping was, if I select the object en press U and Unwrap, it shows just a block in the UV image viewer, it doesn't unwrap...

Someone said try it with Project from view to unwrap vertices and move the vertices over the picture to make it fit, but I didn't quite understand it (yet).
So I'm still figuring out... Though if I use project from view, it dóes unwrap properly.

Thank you.

The attachement here is a picture of the front, side and top view, so it's more clear what shape the object is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sylvia

Postby djm » November 21st, 2011, 2:40 pm

I'd suggest you use seams.

CRTL + E -> Mark Seam
U - > Unwrap

Now in the UV-editor you should see the areas you put seams on as separate objects within the editor. This is to make it easier for you to put the part of the mesh you want, on the part of the texture you want it to have. I don't know if you're familiar with this, but it's a very good function to make the whole UV-mapping process faster, easier and much more fun in the process.

Also, make sure to put it as spherical after doing the whole mapping thing. Yes, this makes the UV-mapped texture fit your spherical object way better than if it was set on flat.

And if you use "unwrap from project view" you get your project unwrapped as it looks for you right at this moment (the angle of the camera and so on). Which means, don't use it unless it's a flat, 2D object (At least that's my personal opinion on that function). The same goes for "Project from view".

Anyway, if you don't know how seams work, visit CG Cookie and they'll they you with some very good videos how UV-unwrapping and UV-Texturing in general works.

Good luck!
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby Sylvia » November 22nd, 2011, 12:28 am

Thank you for the suggestion, I'm not familiar with it - probably one of the reasons why I didn't know this could be the solution :P I'll first try to unwrap it with seams.
Sylvia

Postby Sylvia » November 22nd, 2011, 7:37 am

I wanna thank you very much for helping me.
It took me a few hourss, but it's fixed now, so I'm very happy.

Is there a way to set 'Solved' on, or can I close the topic..
Sylvia

Postby djm » November 22nd, 2011, 9:48 am

Glad I could help. Leave the topic on, just in case other members come across the same issue.
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby SPARTAN-001 » November 22nd, 2011, 4:26 pm

djm wrote:Leave the topic on, just in case other members come across the same issue.

Indeed. Also, don't think I've gotten a chance to welcome you to Dark Scarab! Happy that you managed to figure out your problem.
//SPARTAN
Practice makes perfect and nothing is perfect, so why practice? -brektzar
SPARTAN-001
Legend
Legend

Postby Sylvia » November 23rd, 2011, 12:04 am

Oke, then I'll leave it open :)
Thank you both.
Sylvia

Return to Materials and Textures