blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Texture problems with .obj

Texture problems with .obj

Postby mkultra » January 2nd, 2010, 8:00 am

Are there any special guidelines when it comes to textures and texture paths, do i need to set any paths manually? Blender has been problematic for me when it comes to importing my uv mapped .obj files (mapped / exported from Blender), which is strange. Other programs (like Polygon Cruncher) will find the correct path and show the texture just fine for the same mesh, while the Blender console will stop loading it and say that the texture path is invalid, like in this picture: http://piclair.com/8ncwe

I can resolve this by resaving the .obj in, for example, Polygon Cruncher and then reimporting into Blender.

Maybe it helps if i tell you how i do the UV-mapping, i might be doing something wrong.

1. I import the untextured mesh (an .obj, often something i have tweaked and exported from Zbrush.)

2. I select the mesh.

3. Tabkey to go into edit mode.

4. Ukey. "unwrap smart projections"

5. In UV/image editor i click image, load my image.

6. I scale the uvmapping really big so the image beneath it will be repeated all over the mesh.

7. I hit TAB, switch to texture mode, everything seems to be working fine since i can see my texture on my mesh.

8. I make sure everything is selected. I export to .obj.

Please let me know if i do something wrong or something odd :)

Also, when i import the resaved (from Poly Cruncher) .obj file, the texture is completely white (in texture mode), but renders correctly. What's up with that?
mkultra
Starting Out
Starting Out

Re: Texture problems with .obj

Postby brektzar » January 2nd, 2010, 10:15 am

I think that you should try to make your own seams, like the way i told you at sweblend. Also, if you take it into Zbrush to tweak, is it for sculpting? sculpting low poly models is mostly not a good idea(i asssume its a low poly model?), you might try changing the position manually in edit mode or if you really want to sculpt do so in blender, blenders sculpt tool is quite capable.

The lowest error message is a directory error, you probably shouldnt have any special characters lik %&ยค$; and so on in the folder name, it doesnt have to but can cause some issues.
Could you upload the blend file so i could take a look at it?(You can upload .blend files here) i could export it as a UV mesh and import into mudbox and back to se if it works.

When it comes to loading the image before or after you unwrap, it matters in some cases, sometimes the UV layout will get scaled and look "smaller" on one axis when you load the image AFTER you unwrap, so in my opinion always unwrap after you load the image.

oh yeah, even if you make your own seams you can scale everything up so the texture repeats itself over and over.

The white texture could be a minor "glitch" or something, just reload the texture and that should be ok, if not im not sure why this happens.

And a little tip, if you make a tree for example, make one mid or high poly and use the poly reducer to lower the amount of ploys, or you could model a low poly mesh with your high\mid poly mesh as a reference.

I hope this makes sense ^^ if any of it doesnt tell me and i will go into more detail.
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby Rezeul » January 2nd, 2010, 12:29 pm

Also, when i import the resaved (from Poly Cruncher) .obj file, the texture is completely white (in texture mode), but renders correctly. What's up with that?

i had the same problem with one of my lowpoly game models a while back, it was either white or invisible, try going into Face mode in blender and clicking the faces with the problem and hit "Ctrl + F" and hit "Flip Normals".

thats what worked for me.
Rezeul
Pro
Pro

Postby mkultra » January 2nd, 2010, 12:49 pm

Yes i make some minor scuplting in Zbrush. I find it extremely easy and natural to work with Zbrush, but i'm going to learn sculpting in Blender too, eventually.

Do you prefer Mudbox over Zbrush? Or maybe you havent tried Zbrush.. Got to test Mudbox someday :)

Seams? Do you mean Materials? the game I'm doing mods for uses textures, not material, it wont load those.. As i've understood materials works differently and is harder to make it look natural. But i might be missing something here hehe

Rezeul: Flip the normals doesnt help. BUT what helped was hitting "reload" on the image, so it was like you said, just a glitch :)

Anyways, i did a test again, this time i made sure to save the .obj in the same dir as the image file, and everything worked except that i had to hit "reload" for the image to get rid of that white glitch. Blender seems to be very picky with the pathing when exporting to .obj, images should go in the same dir as the .obj.. I hope that was the problem.
mkultra
Starting Out
Starting Out

Postby Rezeul » January 2nd, 2010, 12:57 pm

thats weird that you have to reload it?
I like Zbrush and blender. i suck at both but if i ever do a really high poly sculpt i'll use Zbrush, but for lowpoly stuff i use Blender. ;)
Rezeul
Pro
Pro

Postby brektzar » January 3rd, 2010, 12:00 pm

Yeah, to do high poly models that needs the extra bit of detail zbrush or mudbox is awesome, but for detail that doesnt need to be extreme, a normal map made using either of those or some other program is pretty much enough, and its alot easier on your computer :P

[EDIT]
I missed your reply mkultra ^^ :shock:

Umm i have tried both Zbrush and mudbox, i cant say one or the other, all i can say is that i use mudbox atm, i use it to create normal maps.

About seams, seams are what defines how you mesh is shown in the UV-layout, if you have no seams it will be all weird and overlaping etc :P with seams you can separate arms from a body and stuff like that, here is an image showing seams:
The ornage lines are the seams, you put the at strtegic places to make the mesh unfold in a good and easy to work with way.

And btw, if you need help and im online you can find me on the chat(on the index page almost at the top there is a box going from side to side you can click to show the chat)
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby mkultra » January 3rd, 2010, 2:45 pm

Ah you meant those seams, then i understand :)
mkultra
Starting Out
Starting Out

Postby brektzar » January 3rd, 2010, 2:56 pm

if you learn how to unwrap your trees, and how to model them you can make trees way better than those made in ngplant ;)
//Jimmy

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Return to Materials and Textures