blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

n00b question #4

n00b question #4

Postby hieronymous » June 27th, 2009, 11:47 pm

i'm sure i'm being particularly dense here, but this is my problem:

1) i mark the seams on my model
2) go into the uv/image editor, image/new and select 512x512
3) "select all" and then create a uv map
4) rotate the map as appropriate in the uv editor
5) i've now got a grid map that i want to load into my image processing software and overlay it with a texture
6) soooo... i go: image/save as/ select "jpg" (but it doesn't seem to matter what i select)
7) open the saved image and... it's just black

my current workround is to do file/screenshot subwindow from the top menu, then load it into my image software, crop and scale the image down to 512x512, then create the texture for reloading

but i'm sure that can't be the recommended way of doing it...

p.s. in other words, i want to end up with something that looks like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Art of Darkness, Art for Adults
hieronymous
Contributor
Contributor

Re: n00b question #4

Postby Nismo » June 28th, 2009, 2:12 am

The save/save as thing is for normal/occlusion maps etc if you go to the UV menu (you have to have something unwrapped for this to show) then scripts and 'Save UV face layout' a box should appear you can either leave it as default to save it as a .tga or you can click Edit and it will allow you to select the editor on you PC to export into.

I don't know how well it works as i've never used it but in theory it should work.

Hope that helps

Nismo

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

"Three blind mice walk into a pub. But they are unaware of their surroundings, so to derive humour from it would be exploitative." - Bill Bailey
Nismo
Pro
Pro

Postby hieronymous » June 28th, 2009, 3:50 am

ah. right. got it. thanks

can't get the editor thing to work, which is a tiny bit irritating, but at least it's a step forward over my old way, and i can always open the tga file in psp then copy and paste it into photopaint
Art of Darkness, Art for Adults
hieronymous
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stardavid » November 25th, 2013, 12:03 pm

Hi guys, I thought of posting this here cuz I saw question in the topic :D . So my questions are:
(1) I don't know why my texture paint is not working. Each time I try paint using texture paint, it won't work, so I will how have to use vertex paint.
(2) why is it that when I want to paint and put it on vertex paint, the model turns white like paper and I have to use all four views guessing to paint then later check what am painting with texture paint.
(3) what is the use of vertex paint?
(4) what is the use of weight paint? Each time I select weight paint and select a particular color, and then start painting, it paints with different color I don't know why.
I will appreciate if any of you answer my questions.
NOTE: am using blender 2.68a
Thanks of all your help
stardavid
Contributor
Contributor

Postby IrascibleOne » November 25th, 2013, 1:48 pm

These sound like topics that would make for some good tutorials. :D Long answers, so I spoilerized them to shorten this post up. Also, these answers are fairly general in the way I explain things, so if you need more detailed info, don't hesitate to ask!

1) I don't know why my texture paint is not working. Each time I try paint using texture paint, it won't work, so I will how have to use vertex paint.
SHOW SPOILER
Can't say for certain without more info. Did you just go into Texture Paint mode and try painting? If so, there are a few steps you have to go through before texture painting will work. First you have to go into the UV/Image Editor window and create a new image (its all black by default). Then, you unwrap your mesh so it shows up on top of the black image you created. Once you have done that, you can go into Texture Paint mode and start painting on your model.

That's a really rough explanation, I know, so I can go into more detail if you need it. There is some info you can check out in the Blender Docs, if you want:Texture Painting

2) Why is it that when I want to paint and put it on vertex paint, the model turns white like paper and I have to use all four views guessing to paint then later check what am painting with texture paint.
SHOW SPOILER
White is simply the default color for your vertices. To get the colors you want, you simply paint over the white with the color you select for your brush. If you want the whole thing to be changed to a different color, you can set the brush to the color you want and then hit Shift-K (or Paint->Set Vertex Colors in the menu bar). I explain a bit more about vertex painting in your next question.

Assuming I understand you correctly, using all views is just how it works. It allows you to directly paint on the model rather than painting on a flat image. If you want a flat place to paint on your model, you can do so with an image in the UV/Image Editor (with the texture painting technique) and unwrapping your mesh to see where the edges are.

Again, I know that's a pretty rough explanation, but I'm trying to make sure this post doesn't get too long!

3) what is the use of vertex paint?
SHOW SPOILER
As I understand it, vertex painting is similar to texture painting, except you are assigning colors to vertices (rather than a UV image) in the mesh. Those colors will appear when you render as long as you have turned on the 'Vertex Color Paint' setting in the 'Options' section of a material you have assigned to the object you painted.

I've never really used it myself, since coloring vertices doesn't lead to a very pretty render unless you have a lot of vertices (like when sculpting) and even then, you have to do some work on top of that to make it look good.

This is partly a guess on my part, but it may be useful for marking various parts of the mesh where certain textures are supposed to be. So if you bake the colors to a UV image, you can draw over those colors in Photoshop/GIMP. Then you can take the image created in Photoshop and use it as a UV texture for the model. Again, never done that myself and I don't see people use it very often, so I am not totally certain if people use it in this way.

You can find more detailed info in the Blender docs: Vertex Paint

4) What is the use of weight paint? Each time I select weight paint and select a particular color, and then start painting, it paints with different color I don't know why.

SHOW SPOILER
When weight painting, you are actually assigning a value between 0 and 1 to each vertex in your mesh. The dark blue represents 0 while the red represents 1. So, depending on the settings you use for the brush, you are simply altering the value, as opposed to painting a certain color onto the mesh.

It can be used for quite a few things. One example was when I used weight painting in the billowing flag tutorial to mark where the flag would be connected to a pole and the wind would not effect the flag mesh. It's also used with particles quite a bit, to mark where hair/grass will grow on a mesh. I recently saw a tutorial on BlenderGuru where he used weight paint to mark where particle generated mushrooms would be located in a cave. I believe it can also be used for deformation of character meshes to help clean up the appearance of the mesh when the characters are animated.

More technical info in the Blender docs: Weight Paint

Hopefully that clears some things up! If you need me to clarify anything, feel free to ask!
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stardavid » November 27th, 2013, 8:02 am

Thanks bro you just answer my question to my basic understanding for now :Dance: . The explanation you gave I think is ok for now may be when I get deep into those things I will get more info on them. Now I can now paint with out problems. Thanks for help.
stardavid
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Materials and Textures