blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

FLUID SIMS WORK AT RESOLUTION OF 100/HIGHR AND IT IS BROKE.

FLUID SIMS WORK AT RESOLUTION OF 100/HIGHR AND IT IS BROKE.

Postby Digital Gigalow » January 27th, 2012, 11:40 am

Hello Blender Heads!!!! I am work on a project i am lost to why I am not getting the results I am looking for. I run the bake at a resolution of 100 and the object fills. If I put the resolution higher than that, I get the water flowing THROUGH the object. I do not change ANY other settings, just the resolution. What am I doing wrong?

Computer specs:

Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz
8 gigs memory
500gb 7200 rpm harddrive
256 SSD
blender 2.60

I would like to fill the object with a resolution 300-600 resolution. (600 is the what I really want).

Below is a link to download the blend file I have.

PS. Also looking to mirror the object so I have TWO, one on each side, with the the tall part on the edge of the screen.

Thank you for your help.

https://files.me.com/mjtimothyscott/wp8gxr
Digital Gigalow
Still New
Still New

Re: FLUID SIMS WORK AT RESOLUTION OF 100/HIGHR AND IT IS BRO

Postby Digital Gigalow » January 27th, 2012, 11:56 am

Just down;oared 2.61 and get the same results
Digital Gigalow
Still New
Still New

Postby IrascibleOne » January 27th, 2012, 9:40 pm

I just played with it a bit and everything seems to be okay for me. The main difference, which may be what you are seeing, is that the higher resolution you go, the slower it is to fill up. Why? I have no clue.

I tried settings of 100 and 200. While 100 filled it up completely, a setting of 200 didn't come close. So, if you are setting it to something even higher, the amount of fluids will be less. I might hazard a guess that 200 takes twice as long as 100 to get equal amounts of fluids, (making 600 six times as long) but I really don't know if it is as simple as that.

I would suggest as you get higher in resolution, increase the 'End' setting under 'Time'. This will speed it up a bit so you get more fluids in the same number of frames.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Digital Gigalow » January 27th, 2012, 11:44 pm

thanks for the quick reply. one more question. I tried to fill it from the bottom, yet it got to certain point and stoppe. the inlet was still running. is there a special setting that I set to make it fill to the top from the bottom?

Thabks again.
Digital Gigalow
Still New
Still New

Postby IrascibleOne » January 28th, 2012, 2:33 pm

Yeah, for some reason once the inflow is submerged it seems to stop adding fluids. I do not know of any setting to fix that, though I could be wrong. What I would do is probably have the inflow object slowly raise up as the water level goes up. It'll probably involve some guess and check, but it might be a good thing if you want more control over how quickly the water raises to the top.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Digital Gigalow » February 2nd, 2012, 6:11 pm

You were correct. to fill an object, you MUST key frame the fluid object to lift up as the object fills thanks for that help. got another question though.

What would be the best way to go about lighting this project. EVERYTHING is set to fill the object, yet I can NOT get the lighting right.

https://files.me.com/mjtimothyscott/ydeew9

PS. I already had it baked and have an ORANGE indirect lighting already rendered. just need to light this one and it is water.

THANK YOU for your help, you will get recognition in the credits of my project. I will even post a video here of my VJ Presentation.
Digital Gigalow
Still New
Still New

Postby IrascibleOne » February 3rd, 2012, 12:17 am

Not sure, lighting isn't one of my strong points. I'd probably end up leaving it with the environment lighting or something, maybe add a sun to light things up if I need to. Lighting is something I've been meaning to look more into.

With your file though, I did have to change the material of the fluids to get it to appear for me, no matter what the lighting was. I ended up turning off Mirror, turning Ambient all the way up and turning the alpha value just tiny bit up (like 0.005). After that I just added a sun lamp to brighten it a little more.

I thought it looked pretty good, but I'm not sure if it's exactly what you are looking for and It's hard to tell with just a black background sometimes.

And yes, I think it'd be awesome to see a video.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Digital Gigalow » February 3rd, 2012, 12:41 am

after it fills I plan to overlay ocean scenes like schools of fish, sharks, whales, etc. do think a blue background would be better?
Digital Gigalow
Still New
Still New

Postby brektzar » February 3rd, 2012, 9:12 am

For underwater scenes where you wont see the waves, use this:
http://www.blenderguru.com/videos/creat ... ater-scene

Where you will se the waves use that tutorial and use the ocean sim modifier to simulate waves, i think that would work anyway :P
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Return to Animation