blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Path Tutorial.

Path Tutorial.

Postby Digital Gigalow » April 2nd, 2011, 2:08 am

Ok back again with another question for you. the set-up: I have add a lot of cubes to a pillar. I would like to know how the path options work. i want to make a path with, i guess a spotlight. I would like the spot light to only show on the pillar as it moves across it. I would also like an orb traveling up and down the pillar in a tight spiral. can someone here give me some ideas and direction on how to accomplish this.

THANX

here is a link to give you some ideas of where i want to go. I would like to reproduce most of the animations in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu2e9uulMPA
Digital Gigalow
Still New
Still New

Re: Path Tutorial.

Postby IrascibleOne » April 2nd, 2011, 3:03 pm

Sounds like Lamp textures. Or possibly just textures directly on the object. I'll just talk about lamp textures here.

Just like any mesh you can add textures to a lamp. So, if you wanted the lamp to project an image, you would add a Image or Movie texture to the lamp and when you shine the lamp or spotlight on an object it would use the image/movie as the light rather than solid color.

You can also make lamps work on certain layers in Blender. So, as an example, let's say you only want a lamp to light up Cube1 and not Cube2. You would move the lamp and Cube1 to their own layer and put Cube2 on a different layer. Then in the lamp settings, where you can choose which type of lamp you want to use, you check the This Layer Only box. That way, the lamp will only light up the objects that are on the same layer as the lamp, which would be Cube1.

Then, you could animate the lamp to move and point at what you like. Depending on how you texture the lamp light, you may not even have to animate the lamp at all.

Does that help? I think I was a little vague in some spots, so let me know if you would like a little more detail somewhere.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Digital Gigalow » April 17th, 2011, 9:49 pm

OK. I am still learning. I have a blend file that I need help with. VERY basic path tutorial, A to B. would like to make it follow the path. still unable to do it. can some learn me somethan' on this here subject.

https://files.me.com/mjtimothyscott/23vobt
Digital Gigalow
Still New
Still New

Postby IrascibleOne » April 18th, 2011, 3:57 pm

It's fairly simple, once you get it.

First choose the name of the curve you want to follow along for the Target setting. In the file you gave, it is the only one to choose in the list that appears when you click on it.

Then you have to pick one of the Forward values. However, if the background of the name of the constraint is red, then the constraint will not work. You'll have to pick one that doesn't cause a red background.

Lastly, I like to turn on the Fixed Position checkbox which makes the Offset value represent how far along the path the object is, 0 being beginning and 1 being at the end.

To animate, you go to frame 1 in the timeline, right click on the Offset setting and select Insert Keyframe. Then go to a different frame in the timeline and change the offset setting to some other value. Then right click on the Offset setting again and select Insert Keyframe. If you play your animation, you should see your object moving in between the keyframes you just set.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Digital Gigalow » April 19th, 2011, 8:09 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!! I am learning a lot!!!!!

I just learned how to use key frames. much easier for a simple straight line movement. now I need to learn how to do make a SPIRAL path. I want a indirect lighting sphere to go around the pillar, (the inner part of the pillar around the section with the indentions).

next I have all these BEAUTIFUL textures from cgtextures.com. I would like to use on the pillar.

the last thing would be to make a oultine in white on ALL hard lines on the pillar. (indentions, outside, etc.).
Digital Gigalow
Still New
Still New

Return to Animation