blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Fluid Sim in custom Model

Fluid Sim in custom Model

Postby Digital Gigalow » March 28th, 2011, 2:46 pm

HEllo PEEPS!!! Thank you to everyone who reply to post, easy or hard.

I have modeled a pillar to spec using cubes. I have created a mesh and saved as a .dae file.

I would like to fill the pillar with fluid with a cylinder inflow. this is what I have so far:

CUBE = Pillar = Obsticle = Shell
CUBE 1 = Domain
CYLINDER = Inflow

can some look at my blend file to see if there is anything I am doing wrong?

https://files.me.com/mjtimothyscott/s9vprn

PLUR
Peace, Love, Unity, Respect

The Digital Gigalow
Digital Gigalow
Still New
Still New

Re: Fluid Sim in custom Model

Postby SPARTAN-001 » March 28th, 2011, 6:31 pm

I'd be more than happy to take a look at it when I figure out why Blender isn't working on my machine right now... :wall:

Also, welcome to DS! I'm SPARTAN-001, the moderator here. Always good to see new faces around here, and I hope you'll stick around! :wave:
//SPARTAN
Practice makes perfect and nothing is perfect, so why practice? -brektzar
SPARTAN-001
Legend
Legend

Postby Digital Gigalow » March 28th, 2011, 6:48 pm

Of Course I will be around. I do NOT expect something for nothing. If I have answers to posts, I shall share my knowledge. Life is to short, we are all here to help each other out. when you figure out what is goig wrong with personel confuser take a look. If you need anything else, let me know, I think everything is there for you.

thanks for the reply. by the way, I am using a MAC, so there might be some different hot keys. Also the pillar is to spec with the real world. I did all the math when it comes to deminsions.
Digital Gigalow
Still New
Still New

Postby djm » March 29th, 2011, 1:30 am

Welcome to DS, Digital Gigalow! I'm also a MAC user, for now. (finally another mac-head.. xD)
Last edited by djm on March 30th, 2011, 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby IrascibleOne » March 29th, 2011, 3:30 pm

Welcome to DS!

So, I have been looking at the file and the set up seemed good until I baked. I dunno if it is the file or my installation of Blender or something else entirely, but I couldn't get the inflow to work the way it is supposed to.

To get it to work I couldn't use a cylinder as the inflow or the fluid would appear from a non-existing rectangle stretched to the edge of the domain (and therefore creating fluid outside of the pillar). However, using a cube worked just fine. So, I dunno, maybe it is just a fluke on my part, but if a cylinder works for you, I just had to change it to a inflow and change the inflow velocity so it would crate the fluids.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Digital Gigalow » March 29th, 2011, 5:42 pm

I tried it with a cube and got a sim. the only issue is that only the top part of the pillar fills. the pillar was made with cubes. do i need to cut holes somewhere. a little lost.
Digital Gigalow
Still New
Still New

Postby IrascibleOne » March 29th, 2011, 7:49 pm

Yep, in fact, I would probably delete all of the top and bottom faces of the cubes that are on the inside of the pillar and then connect the ends of the cubes to each other so it's all one big piece. As long as it is completely hollow on the inside and no faces are getting in the way the whole pillar should fill up.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Digital Gigalow » March 29th, 2011, 8:32 pm

ok. i will give it a try. question though, I have not learned how to cut sides off objects yet. this was my next mission to learn. can you steer me in the right direction. I have a blend file from before i joined everything together. the file I posted was created with the cubes (file i have), then I joined them all, and last made a mesh.

thanx
Digital Gigalow
Still New
Still New

Postby SPARTAN-001 » March 30th, 2011, 5:40 am

To remove faces, you need to select the face, press X and select delete face. However, the way you modeled the pillar, you'll need to add extra faces in after you do this. The best way to make a pillar would be to use extrusions from a single cube. This will get you a single hollow object, instead of separate cubes. The way your pillar is currently is actually harder to work with in the long run. If you need any help figuring out how to do something I've said, just let me know! :thumbup:
//SPARTAN
Practice makes perfect and nothing is perfect, so why practice? -brektzar
SPARTAN-001
Legend
Legend

Postby Digital Gigalow » March 30th, 2011, 10:33 am

ok Spartan. I have to start over with the model. I lost the one with just the cubes. I will work on it at work tonight. I have rodeled one side of the pillar with plains, yet that did not work. it gave me the same results in the fluid sim. I will be rdoing the model the way you gave posted. so I start with the bottom cube, take the top side off, got that down. how do I go about extruding the box?

thanks foe ALL the help GUYS!!!!

the file attached is of one side od the pillar. it is mesaured to real world spec.
Digital Gigalow
Still New
Still New

Next
Return to Animation