blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Crumbling

Crumbling

Postby Dictator-for-life » January 3rd, 2009, 6:34 pm

It's me again, with another question.

How would you animate something crumbling? I don't mean dissolving, I want something to completely fall apart, crumble. I have another question that I think is related: how would animate a shovel scooping up dirt? How would I even make soil that was low-poly, but detailed? I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.. Help would be VERY appreciated.
"Along with 'Antimatter,' and 'Dark Matter,' we've recently discovered the existence of 'Doesn't Matter,' which appears to have no effect on the universe whatsoever." -The 5th Wave
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Crumbling

Postby IrascibleOne » January 3rd, 2009, 9:04 pm

Funny, a friend and I were talking about realism in games a few days ago. One of our thoughts was about shoveling foxholes in war games. Anyways...

Question 1: Initially I am struggling to think of how to make something crumble with just Blender. However, I found a script a while ago (but haven't tried yet) that is called a Demolition script but it appears it can be adjusted for a crumbling effect. Here is the link:
http://kaikostack.com/pc_de.htm

Question 2: I think this would mainly depend on how detailed you want to get. My first thought would be to put a mesh on top of the shovel when it goes underground and the viewer would see it when it comes back above ground while making a divot in the ground. I guess you could use the script above to make it fall apart a bit as the shovel is lifted and/or if you throw the dirt off of the shovel. You could even use particles to 'trick' the viewers into thinking it is crumbling or clumps are falling off. If I think of something better I will let you know.

Question 3: Anything that is low-poly and detailed relies heavily on the texture and material that is going to be put onto it. So, rather than pouring more time into making the model look good, more time goes into the texture and coloring that goes onto it.

I think I have answered (or at least tried to answer) all of your questions. Let me know if something needs clarifying.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dictator-for-life » January 4th, 2009, 12:33 pm

Thanks. That script looks very good. I wish Blender.org would list more plugins like this. Thanks for the idea on the shoveling thing, I think I can use that. Thanks! I guess that's it then. This one is closed..
"Along with 'Antimatter,' and 'Dark Matter,' we've recently discovered the existence of 'Doesn't Matter,' which appears to have no effect on the universe whatsoever." -The 5th Wave
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Postby SPARTAN-001 » February 2nd, 2009, 12:24 pm

BTW, another way to make a crumbling effect is subdivide the object a bunch (depending on how small you want the pieces to be), add a particle system (mess around w/ the settings to get the effect that you want), set the particle visualization to none, add an explode modifier, and tweak different settings as you need. If you want me to go more in depth I will, but i'm just suggesting an alternative to a script or something that can be done all inside blender.
//SPARTAN
Practice makes perfect and nothing is perfect, so why practice? -brektzar
SPARTAN-001
Legend
Legend

Postby Dictator-for-life » February 8th, 2009, 11:28 am

Yeah, that's another way to do it. Thanks! I will try that out. Sounds like it should work.
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Animation