blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

whats the purpose?

whats the purpose?

Postby themitchel0 » July 6th, 2010, 11:54 am

what is the purpose of the volume obstacle setting, if water goes right through it? and is there anyway to make it not go staright through it? or could you make the shell setting not make the water be so above the obstacle?
themitchel0
Pro
Pro

Re: whats the purpose?

Postby IrascibleOne » July 6th, 2010, 8:08 pm

The only time volume should not work would be when there is no volume (according to Blender), so if there is a hole anywhere on the object (or if it is a plane/something with no thickness) no matter how insignificant it may be, then Blender says there is no volume. I've had the problem while I was doing my fluids tutorial. If you know it has no holes and it does have a volume, then there is probably something completely different going wrong.

As for the distance from the shell, that is something I have never figured out. Sometimes it seems OK, and sometimes it does not. Even in the tutorial there is a considerable distance from the obstacle. Raising the resolution tends to make it better if I remember correctly, but it doesn't exactly fix the problem sometimes. Technically, you will never touch the object, but it should get close. I think the size of the scene will also effect how close the fluids will be to the object.

In any case, I don't think the fluids system in Blender is the greatest. There are some things that pretty much everyone has problems with (such as that gap problem). I tend to avoid using now, because of how slow things go with it and how hard it is to get things just right. I'm just not patient enough.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby themitchel0 » July 10th, 2010, 10:32 am

hmmm ok thank you, is there anyway to improve the fluid simulations?
themitchel0
Pro
Pro

Postby IrascibleOne » July 10th, 2010, 8:03 pm

If you mean improving the actual simulation, I dunno. I would think you would either have to find someone who has made a better fluid simulator and somehow add it as a plugin or something. I haven't seen one before though.

If you mean just the looks of the fluids, all you really got is resolution to make it look more detailed along with the few other settings to change how the fluid may move. The issue with the fluids system is that it takes sooo long to bake when you get to the really good looking stuff unless you have a high end computer and even then it probably takes a while.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby themitchel0 » July 11th, 2010, 10:51 am

oo ok
themitchel0
Pro
Pro

Return to Animation