blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Morphing

Morphing

Postby Dictator-for-life » December 26th, 2008, 10:28 am

I recently saw a video showing a jet plane morphing into a car. The jet disassembled itself into plane parts and swarmed to another spot where it assembled into a car. On the way to the car, the pieces changed, morphed. How could I accomplish that in Blender?
"Along with 'Antimatter,' and 'Dark Matter,' we've recently discovered the existence of 'Doesn't Matter,' which appears to have no effect on the universe whatsoever." -The 5th Wave
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Morphing

Postby IrascibleOne » December 26th, 2008, 11:00 am

Off the top of my head, I would think you would need to use Shape Keys. To set a Shape Key, just press 'I' in the 3D viewing window and select 'Mesh'. I haven't used it much though, just changing a cube around a bit, but I am pretty sure it works the same way for more complex shapes.

I think I would follow this process:
1- Model Your First Object
2- Use the Shape Keys and Loc Keyframes while modeling the second object with the pieces from the first object, in a different location.
3- If you animate right after that, the pieces should morph while flying directly to their new location.
4- If you do not want the pieces to go straight to their new location you will probably have to use the Loc and possibly the Rot(if you like) keyframes to make an exploding effect or make the pieces path curved rather than straight.

If I think of a quicker way, I will let you know. I would try something simple first to get the process down, in case I forgot something or led you in the wrong direction, before moving on to something complex.

Hope the helps!
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dictator-for-life » December 28th, 2008, 12:59 pm

Thanks for the advice! I have yet to try it, but I will make an attempt and tell you how it went.
"Along with 'Antimatter,' and 'Dark Matter,' we've recently discovered the existence of 'Doesn't Matter,' which appears to have no effect on the universe whatsoever." -The 5th Wave
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dictator-for-life » December 28th, 2008, 6:28 pm

Hmmm.. Having a bit of trouble. I used the shape keys just as I would a location key or any other IPO key, but it didn't work. Here's what I did:

1. At frame one, I have the default cube. I add a keyframe using "I" and clicking on "Mesh".
2. I go to frame 30 and insert a shape key ("I" -> Mesh). Then I edit the cube and just move one vertice to test if the key works.
3. I get out of edit mode using TAB. The distorted cube changes back to a REGULAR CUBE.
4. I scroll through the animation frames using the arrow keys, but the cube remains the same.

I played with the tab on the panel that's labeled "Shapes" next to "Modifiers," but I could not render any results. I think I could do better if I understood "Basis" and "Keys." Thanks for the help.
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dictator-for-life » December 29th, 2008, 9:10 am

I looked it up, and I think I know what I did wrong. I think I needed to duplicate, change, and pin. I will try it later.

Sorry that everybody here asks you questions rather than helping solve them. Hopefully DS gets more members soon who can relieve you of answering all these questions! I hope to help out the site soon..
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Nismo » December 29th, 2008, 10:55 am

Maybe I can help :D

Basically you have to add one shape key to get the basic (the default shape of the object) then another key, make the changes in edit mode with this key selected, then when you move the slider (the one in the shape key box) your object should change.

If you haven't looked already then have a look at this, it might help. http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD/ ... ion/Shapes its based around a character but could be applied to a car/plane

Hope this helps, I look forwards to seeing the results.

Nismo

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

"Three blind mice walk into a pub. But they are unaware of their surroundings, so to derive humour from it would be exploitative." - Bill Bailey
Nismo
Pro
Pro

Postby Dictator-for-life » December 29th, 2008, 2:39 pm

I had a look at that this morning before you posted, but it did not turn out the way I hoped it would. I wanted to try and morph things (it's so much easier in Flash where you just use shape tweens). Say, I wanted to make a square turn into a sphere. How would I go about doing that? I guess what I am really asking is how I utilize it. I can get the "Shape" tab alright, but I don't know how to animate with it. I can't get the keys (the actual stuff that gets recorded in the IPO Viewer.).

Oh, and by the way, today, I decided to get out some Python books and plan to study up on Python. I hope I can write some tutorials on intergrating Python w/ the Blender Game Engine. I hope I can get that done, but I am not certain yet..
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Postby IrascibleOne » December 29th, 2008, 9:35 pm

I'd have to go mess with it again. I'll see if I can get back to you within the next few days and give you a good answer.

Also, I'm glad someone is planning to start learning Python. I don't know if I will ever find the time, especially considering I have been learning PHP and SQL over the last few months.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dictator-for-life » December 30th, 2008, 10:29 am

Thanks. I have been trying, but I can't get any results.

Yes, thus far, I have learned some HTML, CSS, Actionscript, Perl, C++, Python, Javascript, and Visual Basic. Most of them I started, but never seemed to master. I am most confident in HTML and CSS. If you need any tutorials on that, I could help out, but I would have to find the time.
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Postby IrascibleOne » December 31st, 2008, 11:29 am

Ok, I just went and figured it out. Here's the full run down.

1- Go the the animation window layout.
2- Create your initial shape.
3- Add Shape Key. It should say Basis. This will be the initial shape. You can rename this if you want.
4- Add another Shape Key. It will probably be called Key 1.
5- Go to Edit Mode and change the shape into what ever you want. Once done changing it Blender will automatically set the new shape to Key 1. (You can rename it if you want.)
6- Go back to Object Mode. Your shape should turn back into it's initial state.
7- In the Shape tab move the slider for Key 1 and your shape should morph into the new shape as you pull it more the the right.

Now for animating it.

8- Go to frame 1 if you are not there already.
9- With the slider, just slide the slider to 0. You may have to move it out, then back to make it work. When you do this Blender will put in a key for that frame. Everytime you move the slider Blender will set a Keyframe with that setting on the frame you are at.
10- Go to a different frame.
11- Change the slider setting for 'Key 1' to 1 and Blender should set another keyframe.
12- Now you should be able to play your animation and watch you shape change from its initial state into the morphed one.

Earlier, I thought that I-->Mesh would set the Keyframe (which would be nice...) but I guess I forgot all the other stuff. I-->Mesh just adds another Shape Key, it doesn't set the key frame. Sorry about that!

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need more help!
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next
Return to Animation