blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Help with Animating

Help with Animating

Postby Ian Rand » November 25th, 2008, 4:38 pm

For my first question sir,

I have taken many tutorials on animating in 3DS Max but of course several of the things I cannot take into Blender.

One of them is frustrating. How do I parent a bone to an object? I have successfully done the reverse but that still bugs me.
Ian Rand

Re: Help with Animating

Postby IrascibleOne » November 25th, 2008, 4:55 pm

Parenting all depends on what you select first. The object that you select first will be the child and the second will be the parent. With both of them selected just press the usual 'Ctrl+P' and you will want to confirm the action. Does that answer your question?
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ian Rand » November 25th, 2008, 5:21 pm

Well, the problem is that when I try to parent just to the bone, it actually parents to the entire armature.
Ian Rand

Postby IrascibleOne » November 25th, 2008, 7:09 pm

Oh, I understand now. I don't think that is possible unless the bone is all by itself rather than connected with the others, which would probably create a new problem. Granted, I've haven't really used armatures much but from the little bit I have played around with it, I don't think it's possible.

If I knew more about Armatures I could probably give you a better answer. Sorry, I can't help more.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ian Rand » November 26th, 2008, 7:05 am

That's alright. It isn't a huge problem, just that doing firing animations for a gun is a little easier when you parent the bone to the gun.

I'll be back, don't worry. :D
Ian Rand

Postby Ian Rand » December 5th, 2008, 5:04 pm

Alrighty. A new question. I have been wanting to import my 3ds Max animations into blender, but it never works correctly, as the animations themselves disappear and I have only a model on my hands. Any ideas?
Ian Rand

Postby IrascibleOne » December 5th, 2008, 8:38 pm

I have been asked that question before and what I found was that you couldn't even open 3ds Max files in Blender at all. However, it appears you have gotten it to work (partially) after all. I think I remember that the owners of the format keep the coding or something too much of a secret to be used/imported in other programs. Something like that...

My first thought is if you can export or save the Max file into something Blender can import then it might work. This usually works with Illustrator or Photoshop when their file format needs to be created into a more universally usable file format. I don't know if this would work the same way in 3D programs.

Other than that, you could try to find converters that would retain the animation information into a file you can use in Blender. However, in both of these cases you risk losing the quality of the model itself and even at that I am not sure all formats support the animation information.

From the little I have found out about it, you will probably have to redo all the animating in Blender. In fact, if you hadn't told me you had the model in Blender I probably would have told you it wasn't possible at all. I could be wrong though, I kind of hope so for your (as well as others') sake.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ian Rand » December 6th, 2008, 8:47 am

I'm not even sure I got the model in, but importing an .obj or a .3ds does at least import bones. And, like I said, possibly the model.

Ah well. I'm just going to have to learn Blender's nuances.

Oh, is there an easier way to preview animations I have made than rendering each frame and then playing it back? I tried just playing it but it keeps it at a horrible FPS and I can't really see what I'm doing.
Ian Rand

Postby SPARTAN-001 » December 6th, 2008, 3:48 pm

If you want to play back the animation semi real time in the 3d window, you can just press ALT+A and that'll playback your animation.
//SPARTAN
Practice makes perfect and nothing is perfect, so why practice? -brektzar
SPARTAN-001
Legend
Legend

Postby Ian Rand » December 6th, 2008, 3:51 pm

The semi realistic time is what I was talking about before though... I mean, absolutely the realistic time, because animating weapons in first person relies a lot on how it looks, the timing, etc.
Ian Rand

Next
Return to Animation