blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

what are shape keys?

what are shape keys?

Postby hurricane777 » July 8th, 2009, 2:15 pm

i have a tutorial about shape keys, well it just tells me they exist but, what are they for and how do you use them?
in space, no one can hear you scream, on earth, no one cares
hurricane777
Useful
Useful

Re: what are shape keys?

Postby IrascibleOne » July 8th, 2009, 10:47 pm

Basically what they do is save the positions of all of the vertices in an object so you can have certain states (like a smile, frown, etc.) of the object and a base state (expression-less face), then you can use those shape keys easily and quickly in your animations without having to repeat everything over and over again.

My last tutorial was on shape keys: http://www.darkscarab.com/tutorials/view.php?title=Morphing%20Objects
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hurricane777 » July 10th, 2009, 9:30 am

hey, thanks for the tutorial, know i see it's not what i am looking for, i am making a robot, now there are some part that are suposed to rotate the whole time, any idea how to do it?
hurricane777
Useful
Useful

Postby Dictator-for-life » July 10th, 2009, 12:43 pm

Many, many ways. Is this for your game?

1. Script: Autorotate. Pretty self explanatory, I think it is packaged with Blender so all you have to do is load up Blender and then execute it. Might not work with the BGE, I forget how this one works.

2. Make a full 360 degree rotation animation, use the IPO actuator with Loop End or Stop.

3. Use the Motion actuator, drot, with an Always sensor.

4. Make one full rotation animation, go to the IPO window. Select all (A), hit E, select Cyclic. Pointless if you are going to use it in game, just go with #2 or #3.

There's probably more, these are the ones off of my head.
"Along with 'Antimatter,' and 'Dark Matter,' we've recently discovered the existence of 'Doesn't Matter,' which appears to have no effect on the universe whatsoever." -The 5th Wave
Dictator-for-life
Veteran
Veteran

Postby hurricane777 » July 11th, 2009, 6:14 pm

no it's not for the game so i'll try the script, also, i want to limit rotation in some parts of the robot, i used the constraints, but when i move the whole body, that part doesn't rotate, i want to limit it's rotation but when a parent object moves, this one follows and rotate wherever the parent goes.
hurricane777
Useful
Useful

Postby hurricane777 » July 11th, 2009, 6:19 pm

how do you load up that script, i couldn't find it
hurricane777
Useful
Useful

Return to Animation