blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Fluid tutorial

Fluid tutorial

Postby OMC » October 6th, 2008, 11:41 am

Hi

I've been following the Fluids tutorial, but after baking there's a space between the floor and the fluid. It seems to be about .4 (levels out at the second to last step). I've gone through it twice now, with the same result. Any help would be nice, thanks

OMC
OMC

Re: Fluid tutorial

Postby IrascibleOne » October 6th, 2008, 1:54 pm

Most of the time your fluids will not actually touch the object that has the obstacle setting assigned to it. However, in your case that is a huge gap. I have found that resolution can cause this problem.

If your resolution is really low, it can cause the fluid to create a gap like that. Unfortunately if this is the problem and your computer can't handle a resolution any higher then there isn't much you can do. If raising the resolution does not work let me know.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby OMC » October 7th, 2008, 2:20 am

Tried out the resolution at 100, but this didn't seem rectify the problem. I've tried with different settings for the domain and obstacle but only with worse results (sometimes it doesn't go all the way to wall and sometimes it also hovers over the stairs).

I've uploaded a screenshot of the wireframe and a rendering if that might help. I've also included the .blend file. They can be found here: http://blender.dixib.dk

Hope this helps you help me :D

OMC
OMC

Postby IrascibleOne » October 7th, 2008, 3:25 pm

So, I tried various things and have found that the only thing that changed the size of the gap was change the obstacles setting between 'Init Volume', 'Init Shell', and 'Both'. (Init Volume was the best)

My best guess is that the problem is the complexity of the obstacle we have. I guess it is hard for the computer to figure out where the volume is or where the shell should be... :? . If that is the case, it doesn't make sense to me, I used to work just fine. Which brings me to the next possibility...it could be because we are doing this in 2.46, while I made the tutorial with 2.45. So problems that were not in 2.45 could be happening in 2.46. Maybe 2.46 is pickier about the objects you can use or something :?: ...I don't know.

Sorry that I cannot help fix the problem. I guess it was my fault it is there in the first place, I just never noticed it before.

Did you plan on doing a project or animation with this or do you plan on leaving it to rot after we are done here? Because if you wanted to continue working on it I could try to recreate the obstacle so it works better.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby OMC » October 7th, 2008, 10:30 pm

I think I tried those obstacle settings too, but as I remember that only made things worse. Sometimes even making the fluid hover over the stairs and not reaching the walls.

I actually thought it might be a version thing too, since I noticed that you were using 2.45 in the tutorial. I'd might try to upgrade to 2.47 and see if that makes any difference (you never know).

I'm not going to use it for a project (other than getting to know Blender). I'll just try out different setting and see what I'll come up with myself, no need for you to "waste" your time on it. Of course you're more than welcome to look at it, if you have nothing better to do :lol:

I'll post here if I find any solution to the problem.

Thanks for all your help.
OMC
OMC

Postby IrascibleOne » October 8th, 2008, 1:14 pm

Glad I could help! (Or at least try to...)

I'll probably update the whole tutorial if I figure something out, but chances are I will forget about it until I run into the problem again.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Animation