blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Computer animation is CGI effects

Computer animation is CGI effects

Postby domanika » December 26th, 2013, 4:09 am

What is computer animation? I want to be in college classes that teach me how to do 2D (cartoon), and 3D animations. Chico State offers computer animation, but I don't know if that is the same thing as what I want. I think Computer animation is CGI effects, and if that's the case, then I don't want to go to Chico State. Can anyone give me an exact definition of what Computer animation is?
Last edited by domanika on December 30th, 2013, 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
domanika

Re: Computer animation is CGI effects

Postby IrascibleOne » December 26th, 2013, 12:28 pm

At my school, computer animation focused on 3D animations, with students leaving the course(s) having made a short 3D animation. Chico State may be different, it simply depends on what the instructor decides to teach. If you can find a description of the courses, that might help clear things up. I've always found emailing the instructors (if you can find them) can help clarify things as well.

The thing is, depending on who you talk to, computer animation could cover quite a few topics. 2D cartoons, like South Park, extensively use computers. It could also describe Pixar movies where they are completely computer generated graphics. There are also special effects that are added to enhance live action footage. Then you could have a mix of all three or something else I have forgotten to mention.

If I were you, I'll definitely try to find out what exactly is taught in the classes first. My school only had a single series of three courses dedicated to computer graphics tucked away in the computer science department. If you are serious about doing animation, you may want to check out an art school, which should have all the classes you could want for different kinds of animating.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Animation