blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Object unintentionally merged to another object,can't delete

Object unintentionally merged to another object,can't delete

Postby BlendMe » January 8th, 2012, 10:44 pm

New to blender still and for a while now I've had this same problem here and there whenever constructing objects. I'm working on the first "Blender Learning Exercise" (yellow sub.) and I got to page 98 http://gryllus.net/Blender/PDFTutorials ... marine.pdf when I happened to notice that somewhere along the line my rudder was somehow merged to my sub and are now the same recognized as the same object. Not only that but when I go to delete the object there is a plane that always remains and can neither be deleted or moved. I also noticed that my sub got renamed as the rudder during the process. Is there any way for me to be able to delete this plane and just rename the sub. Also, does anyone know what I may have pushed to cause the rudder (the plane which I added) to become part of the sub?

I've attached my sub file so you can check it out and see what's going on exactly.
badyellowsub1.blend
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BlendMe

Re: Object unintentionally merged to another object,can't de

Postby brektzar » January 8th, 2012, 10:57 pm

Hi BlendMe, and welcome to DS!

I opened your file and found nothing wrong besides the rudder beeing duplicated and merged with the sub.

I could move and delete, no problems at all.

What i did to get your rudder back to its own object:
Selected the sub, went into edit mode and hovered my mouse over the rudder, then i pressed "L" to select linked vertices, this selects the entire rudder.
I the pressed "P" To separate it into its own object, then i deleted the cube that was allready its own object but only half the size of the rudder that was merged.
I did not rename your objects, but this can be easily done using the outliner or object button in the properties panel.

Hope this helped and that you understan what i said ^^
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby BlendMe » January 9th, 2012, 2:58 am

Hello brektzar, thanks for the quick reply!

After posting I noticed a had a copy save just before I messed up the rudder and was able to proceed from there and finish the exercise but that little part about pressing "P" to separate the objects is exactly what I was looking for as I'm sure it'll come in handy if I run into this problem again.

Thanks again for your assistance :D
BlendMe

Postby brektzar » January 9th, 2012, 3:38 am

Youre welcome! Feel free to ask anything here, we will answer as fast as we can. If we know the answer ;)

And please do post your projects here aswell, we would gladly see what you make, and if you want, we can give you constructive critique aswell.
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Return to Modeling