blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Cut Mesh In Half

Cut Mesh In Half

Postby Digital Gigalow » May 17th, 2011, 1:16 am

how do you cut a mesh in half and if the mesh is cut in half, will it be hollow?

here is the plan:

1. My mesh consists of a cylinder and 2 spheres, 1 on each flat ends. all three meshes are connected to make one mesh.
2. I would like to cut it in half from half sphere top and bottom.
3. Next i would like to cut the half mesh into SEPERATE pieces.
4. Cut half circle in plain on the edge.

can some one help me?

thanks
Digital Gigalow
Still New
Still New

Re: Cut Mesh In Half

Postby djm » May 17th, 2011, 10:47 am

wow, that made no sence to me, but I think you want it cut to 4 pieces.. am I correct?
Regards, DJM aka Sheldin!

DeviantArt Profile
http://sheldiner.deviantart.com/

Youtube (Tutorials/Gaming)
http://www.youtube.com/SheldinLP
djm
Pro
Pro

Postby IrascibleOne » May 17th, 2011, 11:59 am

I think I get where you are going with this, let me know if I am wrong.

If you want certain parts of the mesh to be separate objects, you can select all of the faces that should be part of one piece and while still in edit mode, press P, choose 'Selected' in the popup, and it should put those faces into a completely separate object. That effectively cuts the mesh into two pieces.

If you want the separate pieces to be in the same object, then you can join the two new objects in object mode by pressing Ctrl-J (or Shift-J...Alt-J? One of those...) and they will be two pieces in edit mode, but one object in object mode. There might be an easier way to separate pieces without having to put them back into one object like this, but I do not know how if there is a way.

And yes, it will be hollow. You'll have to add new faces to fill in the area where the mesh was split in two - if that is what you want.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Digital Gigalow » May 17th, 2011, 12:41 pm

I am trying to make the indentions in my pillar project. I am making separate tiles that will be key framed to build up the pillar from nothing. give me an hour and I will have blend file for the forum.

thanks
Digital Gigalow
Still New
Still New

Postby Digital Gigalow » May 17th, 2011, 1:45 pm

Here is what I got.

https://files.me.com/mjtimothyscott/8kjc48

I want to cut the cylinder with the rounded edges from top to bottom and in half. then i want to extrude the half piece so it is as thick as the tiles next to the cylinder. then I want cut it in pieces corresponding to the size of the tiles next to it.

I plan to key frame each tile on the pilar to make like the pillar is being built up. this is the only way I can explain it.

hope this helps.

DIG-GIG
Digital Gigalow
Still New
Still New

Postby Digital Gigalow » May 17th, 2011, 8:38 pm

NOTES:

1. the width of the cylinder and tiles are the same.
2. the half cylinder straight edges will be the INNER width.
3. the extrusion will make it wider to make it the thickness of the tile next to it.
Digital Gigalow
Still New
Still New

Postby brektzar » May 18th, 2011, 10:35 am

Select the edgeloops you want to cut and press "V", this will cut them from eachother, for example a cube with an edgeloop in the middle, select all for of the vertices in the middle of the cube and press "V", this will create 4 new vertices at the exact same spot as the originals, these four will be connected to either the top or the botom half of the cube.

Was that at all clear? xD
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby Digital Gigalow » May 18th, 2011, 3:11 pm

ok I have splitt the cylinder in half. it has a thickness of .005. what would be the easiest way to extrude it to .005 thinkness. I would like it to look like a curved tile. any help would be great.

by the way. I am learning more from this forum than at Blenderartists.org. THANK YOU!!!!
Digital Gigalow
Still New
Still New

Postby Digital Gigalow » May 18th, 2011, 4:07 pm

LMAO!!!! the thickness of the half cylinder is .001, not .005. .005 is how thick i want want it to be. SORRY!!! just re-read my reply. LOL!!!
Digital Gigalow
Still New
Still New

Postby SPARTAN-001 » May 18th, 2011, 4:25 pm

If you realize that an edit needs to be made to a previous post, it's recommended that you just edit the previous post (there's a handy "edit" button) ;). This is to reduce clutter on the forum, not a huge deal, but it's helpful.
//SPARTAN
Practice makes perfect and nothing is perfect, so why practice? -brektzar
SPARTAN-001
Legend
Legend

Next
Return to Modeling