blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Making a Grate / Drain

Making a Grate / Drain

Postby Mobius1ne » January 14th, 2015, 10:27 am

Hi, there! I'm pretty new to Blender so I feel I've barely scratched the surface with what I know. I can import/export simple meshes (without UVs) to Unreal... which probably sounds like nothing to you guys, but is quite a step for me! :oops:

I'm just wondering what would be the best way to make a floor grate. Like a catwalk grate, or drain cover almost. I looked for ages for tutorials but all I could find with the words 'grate' and 'blender' were cooking guides, haha!

Here's something similar to what I'm after:
http://www.mascoteng.com.au/mild_steel_grate_pic.jpg

I found a pretty good tutorial the other day on YouTube (here's a link for anybody interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s9ikE1RktY), and it showed me a really nice way to make hexagonal grates, which look pretty cool -and I expect to use a few times- but I'm after a more the traditional one too, like the one pictured above. I can sort of see it in my head, but can't put my finger on exactly how to do it. If anybody knows how and could let me know, or forward a tutorial for me that would be splendid. :roll:

Thanks ~ :wave:
Mobius1ne

Re: Making a Grate / Drain

Postby IrascibleOne » January 14th, 2015, 6:10 pm

You can do something very similar to what is shown in that tutorial with a couple of key differences. You'll just have to manually do what that addon does. That means modeling the rectangular shape you want to grate to have (can actually do this the same way the tutorial did the edges of his grate panel). Then you can duplicate it with a couple of array modifiers to create the repeating pattern. Once you have one grate panel, you can duplicate the whole panel same way the tutorial does to create a full floor, if that is what you want.

Does that make sense? I can't really give pics or much more detail, since I have to go by memory until next week at the earliest.

Oh, and welcome to DS! :wave:
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » January 15th, 2015, 9:05 am

I suggest the same as what Irascible said, but i think this is easily achieved by just modelling a PLUS(+) sign and then using the array modifier to duplicate it several times in the directions you want, then just add a border to it.....

Maybe irascibles way is easier...

Welcome to DS! ;)
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby IrascibleOne » January 15th, 2015, 7:31 pm

I never thought of modeling it that way. Modeling a plus sign would make it easier to get the correct thickness of the grate slats. If you go the rectangle route you have to do half the thickness you want, which will probably mean messing around with it until it looks right.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby brektzar » January 15th, 2015, 7:42 pm

IrascibleOne wrote:I never thought of modeling it that way. Modeling a plus sign would make it easier to get the correct thickness of the grate slats. If you go the rectangle route you have to do half the thickness you want, which will probably mean messing around with it until it looks right.

True, but doing it your way creates a border instantly, no need to add that after.
Some grates are equal all over where the border is as thick as the rest of the grate, but some have thicker borders, so i guess each method is easier depending on which type of grate it is :P
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Postby Alpha 3D » February 6th, 2015, 6:34 am

Have you accomplished your goal yet?
God Makes ALL The Difference! :D
Portfolio: towercg.weebly.com
Thanks!
Alpha 3D
Useful
Useful

Postby Benny » June 18th, 2015, 11:23 am

There is a addon for making this type off mesh if you like http://blendingjacob.blogspot.be/p/add-grating.html :D
Benny

Return to Modeling