blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Poly Modeling Vs Sculpting

Poly Modeling Vs Sculpting

Postby Renix » August 10th, 2013, 6:36 am

Recently I've been seeing more and more issues popping up regarding this, especially for character design. Which is better, Poly Modeling or Sculpting?
Now let's take into consideration, Poly Modeling would definitely be more favorable if you're goal is to create a low polygon mesh. Low polygon meshes are superior when it comes to animating and topology. They can also be a great base for a high-poly sculpt later.
Purely sculpting on the other hand would mean high poly and great for still images that aren't animated, but are highly detailed. To achieve a lower poly model from a sculpt, it would have to be retopo'd, which is actually a pretty basic skill taught in animation/modeling courses (with the emphasis on speed).

Nowadays, computers are pretty high-end and can handle a decent amount of polygons. Sculpting is also deemed faster for creating 3D sketches and prototype models. I'll admit I'm a bit more bias towards the traditional poly modeling method, though. What do you guys think?
Renix
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Poly Modeling Vs Sculpting

Postby brektzar » August 10th, 2013, 6:59 am

Personally i prefer modeling my mesh, but i do sometimes use sculpting when i need something with lots of detail, sculpting is simply faster when doing detail.

But, if i do use sculpting for something i usually retopo the mesh after so i can preserve the shape and detail with fewer polygons. When i retopo i usually use an addon called Bsurfaces.

A review of the tool can be found here:
http://www.blendernation.com/2011/07/25 ... gy-add-on/
//Jimmy
Sorry for my english, it is not always the best ;)

If there is anything you need feel free to ask! :)

My gallery
My deviantART account
brektzar

Re: Poly Modeling Vs Sculpting

Postby Renix » August 10th, 2013, 5:15 pm

I can't say that I use splines too often, but that tool looks extremely useful. Thanks I'll check it out.
Renix
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Modeling