blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Concept Art

Concept Art

Postby IrascibleOne » March 1st, 2009, 11:26 am

Ok, the title is a bit deceiving, there is no concept art yet, but this it what this thread is going to be for. I got an e-mail from my friend with a few images that will help us out with our concept art. So, Vixen you can start when ever you are ready. If anyone else wants to try and draw some concept art, they are free to do so. I might do a bit myself. The reference images are attached in a zip and here is his description for each of the images:

The first image is just the basic outline. You can feel free to make it a little fatter or longer or whatever, but it should give you an idea of the basic shape. Most capital-class vessels are just variations on that template with either different size, or some other addition to the pattern. For simplicity's sake, just use the same design for both vessels (civil war!).

The second image show the likely location of main or secondary gun turrets, and where broadsides are mounted. Now, these are the big guns and the most important ones to the clip. The Anti-Fighter guns don't really play a role in capital-ship battles, so they can probably be disregarded, unless you want some to take up space on the exterior. I can provide them separately if you'd like.
Don't put a gun at each location. The third image is a sample layout of the turrets, but you're free to place them as you see fit. And its all right if you want to shift or move them in any way. Each of the ships in this animation should have a different layout. The only real important bit is to make sure that the ship has full 360 X 360 coverage, at least one gun should be able to fire at an enemy no matter where they are in relation to the ship.
And broadsides don't extrude at all from the ship, just put a hole there. It should have a greater diameter than the turret guns', but not overwhelmingly so.

Fourth image shows the location of vents used to propel the ship. Again, these are more suggestions that hard and fast rules. The ship can strafe in any direction, so plan accordingly. If you have trouble interpreting my image, the vent direction is always perpendicular to the face it's mounted on. The shutters open, a streak of blue plasma flows out like a natural gas flame, and the ship moves. The largest ones are on the back and bottom, but you don't need to worry about the ventral ones too much, you might not see them.

Okay, the last image is the tentative turret design. You can adjust the aesthetics of it as you like, but the armor should be steeply sloped, and the guns should have at least 90 degrees elevation.

Coloration should be dark all over. Dark gray, blue, and black are the most common. This is to make it harder to spot in space, which of course doesn't work well for an animation. Give them some running lights, make them a little bit lighter, or backlight them with stars or nebulae to compensate. The surface is made up of overlapping armor plates, which hopefully won't be too difficult.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Concept Art

Postby Sazex » March 1st, 2009, 1:41 pm

those are some big ships :P
Sazex
Regular
Regular

Postby Rezeul » March 1st, 2009, 1:53 pm

k i'll get to work modelling, umm since i'm not the best at textureing is there someone i can send the files to so they can texture them?
Rezeul
Pro
Pro

Postby Nismo » March 1st, 2009, 2:06 pm

Rezeul you can send them to me, as long as they're unwrapable I should be alright.

Irascible, do you think we'll need a planet or will it be in deep space, if not can anyone think of anything else that needs modeling?

Nismo

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

"Three blind mice walk into a pub. But they are unaware of their surroundings, so to derive humour from it would be exploitative." - Bill Bailey
Nismo
Pro
Pro

Postby Vixen » March 1st, 2009, 3:31 pm

I'll get started, thats a good ship design, I tryed to design a ship once but my brother kept telling me they looked like animals, anyways, I might post it actually, hmm, anyways, yeah, I'm starting work now. :D
Vixen
Starting Out
Starting Out

Postby IrascibleOne » March 1st, 2009, 3:39 pm

Well, now that I think about it, it seems like there are only really going to be ships in this scene. But I think it may be best if we split up parts of the ship for different people. Someone could do the basic shape of the ship, another could do the turrets and another could do another part and so on. There is also going to be a need for a good background to our scene because, frankly, I don't think the stars setting will really cut it. If someone could get a world scene set up with a nebula or something like that, that would be great.

Also post your WIP's, for this I mainly mean for the models and the texturing, so others can look at it and comment. I think that will be necessary to get something really good out of this.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sazex » March 1st, 2009, 7:54 pm

here's a turret, might be a bit too many poly though :P
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6g1m4k
Sazex
Regular
Regular

Postby Rezeul » March 2nd, 2009, 5:13 pm

@Sazex - I like it, for some reason though i keep thinking it looks like a hover bike or a little space ship lol.

I'll definatly put it on my model and put pics and blend. up so you guys can see.
Rezeul
Pro
Pro

Postby IrascibleOne » March 2nd, 2009, 10:01 pm

I like what you have done, Sazex, the only thing for me is that when I think of a space ship or something, I think of something more geometric rather than smooth...Could you do a more geometric version?
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Rezeul » March 3rd, 2009, 1:16 pm

well you can do a smooth version but it's more for organic ships like an alien one instead of a human one.

but yeah i agree with irascible
Rezeul
Pro
Pro

Next
Return to 1st Community Project