blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Storyline

Storyline

Postby IrascibleOne » February 25th, 2009, 6:32 pm

I've decided to start this thread now, post any ideas you would like to do for a story. My friend has come through and has already written a bit that we can do. Also, if any of you are getting a storyline out, try to keep it simple. I would like to do something easy for all of us so we can get an idea of how well we will work together and so we have a better understanding of who is good at what.

As for the story idea my friend came up with, he has written a space battle scene similar to the format of a move trailer. I've talked to him quite a bit and this goes along with a story he has been writing for some time now. Here is what he wrote to me:

The way I see it, we'll focus on a one-on-one capital ship duel. Start with a still frame, empty, starry field, perhaps with nebulae in the background. Peaceful, serene, maybe some calming tune.
A piece of wreckage floats lazily past, what looks like mangled armor plate. It gets about two thirds of the way across the screen.

Then, out of nowhere, the scene is almost filled by the ship passing close, you can only see the top face as it strikes the floating wreckage and sends it spiraling off-camera.

The camera backs out, showing the ship speeding headlong towards an enemy ship (of similar design, this is a civil war going on). If you feel adventurous, you can have some others in the distant background, passing by each other as explosions rock both of them.

Camera zooms into the other vessel, its side facing the advancing ship. A couple of main or secondary gun turrets slewing towards the target and opening fire, flashes of electric blue as the shells leave each barrel in turn.

The advancinng vessel is taking hits all along its frontal face. Some shells don't explode, but leave deep, mangeld scars in the frontal armor. Some of them do explode on the surface, blackening the armor plate and buckling it. Still others glance off the steeply sloped face, flying off into space. Still the agressor draws near.

We see another round of firing turrets from the defending ship. Next scene the charging vessel's forward turrets do some counter-battery fire, we watch these shells hit the turrets of the defendning ship, damaging some of them.

The camera jumps to a view to the right rear of the attacker, the massive vents open fully and massive streaks of blue energy are vented as the ship accelerates to ramming velocity.
The defender tries to strafe up, but the attacker matches the movement.

From high amidships on the defending vessel, we see the attacker hit at speed. You can cut here, or, if you feel like a challenge, show the ramming ship plow into the victim, armor plates buckling around the nose of the ship as plates and external components go flying and the camera if buffeted by the massive impact.

From the sounds of it, he also has gotten some drawings of these ships as well. If we decide to use this story I will ask for them and we can have Vixen (you were the one who wanted to draw storyboards right? I'm having issues with trying to remember everything...) draw some of the shots for us using the outlines my friends has.

Anyways, I'm getting ahead of myself. Post your ideas here if you have any. Remember this will not be the only project (I hope) and we could come back if we don't choose one. Maybe in a week or so we can make the final decision, or maybe even sooner than that if a lot of you reply quickly.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Storyline

Postby Sazex » February 25th, 2009, 7:32 pm

i like the story of it,
but i was actually going towards
a main character (like an alien or sometihng)
that wonders around some place looking for stuff or something
hopr you know what i mean
here this is something i'm leaning towards to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkbE0T-sK1s
Bernard, in the video above, is a curious bear who tries to
discover knew things,
this isn't the only video there is of him,
there is a whole series of him,

anyways what we may be able to do is make an alien,
who goes on a space ship or U.F.O, or something,
goes to a new planet every series, (if there is going to be a series if not, just one planet)
and finds out new stuff everytime he goes there :D
of course we should also make it humorous ;)
hehe i like that idea lol
but this is just an idea
Sazex
Regular
Regular

Postby Rezeul » February 25th, 2009, 7:42 pm

I Like It Irascible! its simple but if done right will have a great little battle scene, i like the ships only idea also since we won't have to work on organics and rigging and stuff.

Should be fun.
Rezeul
Pro
Pro

Postby IrascibleOne » February 25th, 2009, 8:44 pm

I know what you mean Sazex and I was thinking up character centric ideas as well, until late last night. My friend's stories do have characters in them, the battle above is basically a piece of his story, but we spoke about it and I've started thinking differently. Here's my theory:

Just for this first animation it might be best to keep it simple. As much as I am antsy for a good animation with characters in it (believe me, I am), I want to make sure we are all ready for a larger project like that. Mainly I would like to do something easy and fairly quick to test out how we work together and so we don't lose interest after trying to do a large project right off the bat. I have heard about many projects that have crashed in the past, but I think that getting an animation out relatively quick will help get other people to notice what we are doing, which could easily give us confidence to go bigger and work harder for the second. Also by doing a small project we can figure out who is really good at certain parts of the process. I am fairly certain some of you aren't exactly sure what your strong point is quite yet. After we do this, the next project can be with characters and we can more quickly delegate who does what. Plus, all of us will be a little bit better at what we do by the time we start a second project.

If people do not agree with me (as the above is a theory), please say so. We can start out with a character animation if you guys want to do so. I don't want to sound like I am controlling what everyone here is going to do.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sazex » February 25th, 2009, 8:52 pm

IrascibleOne wrote:I know what you mean Sazex and I was thinking up character centric ideas as well, until late last night. My friend's stories do have characters in them, the battle above is basically a piece of his story, but we spoke about it and I've started thinking differently. Here's my theory:

Just for this first animation it might be best to keep it simple. As much as I am antsy for a good animation with characters in it (believe me, I am), I want to make sure we are all ready for a larger project like that. Mainly I would like to do something easy and fairly quick to test out how we work together and so we don't lose interest after trying to do a large project right off the bat. I have heard about many projects that have crashed in the past, but I think that getting an animation out relatively quick will help get other people to notice what we are doing, which could easily give us confidence to go bigger and work harder for the second. Also by doing a small project we can figure out who is really good at certain parts of the process. I am fairly certain some of you aren't exactly sure what your strong point is quite yet. After we do this, the next project can be with characters and we can more quickly delegate who does what. Plus, all of us will be a little bit better at what we do by the time we start a second project.

If people do not agree with me (as the above is a theory), please say so. We can start out with a character animation if you guys want to do so. I don't want to sound like I am controlling what everyone here is going to do.

ok, fair enough im fine with anything as long as I am doing something :D
Sazex
Regular
Regular

Postby Nismo » February 26th, 2009, 4:05 am

I like both ideas but the space battle would be easier (no organics like Rezeul says

A series with the alien would be great maybe if the battle one works out, it'd give more time to develop the character than if it was one short movie.

Nismo

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

"Three blind mice walk into a pub. But they are unaware of their surroundings, so to derive humour from it would be exploitative." - Bill Bailey
Nismo
Pro
Pro

Postby Vixen » February 26th, 2009, 5:03 am

I like both of those ideas but I agree with Nismo, the space battle would probably be easier for a first project.

Irascible, yes it is me who wants to do storyboards
Vixen
Starting Out
Starting Out

Postby dsavi » March 2nd, 2009, 10:52 am

Oohh, you've got me hooked. I love sci-fi. Sounds great to me, I'm afraid I have nothing to add. :|
dsavi
Still New
Still New

Return to 1st Community Project