blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Youtube in 4K!

Youtube in 4K!

Postby SPARTAN-001 » July 11th, 2010, 12:08 pm

Youtube has come out with a new feature recently, adding support for video resolutions larger than 1080p, up to 4K (4096x2304), a common resolution for movie theaters. 4K is more than 6 times the size of 1080p, and for optimum results needs a 25 foot screen, according to Youtube. This announcement makes me wonder a little bit. Why would anyone need 4k video on Youtube? It already takes long enough, waiting for videos to buffer, so you're going to watch a video with several times as much data? It seems to me like it's a marketing gimmick, but decide for yourself. The article, along with a playlist of 4K videos available currently, is right here.
//SPARTAN
Practice makes perfect and nothing is perfect, so why practice? -brektzar
SPARTAN-001
Legend
Legend

Re: Youtube in 4K!

Postby IrascibleOne » July 11th, 2010, 12:28 pm

To me, the only reason people would use it is because a) they don't understand that having a super high resolution like that isn't any better than the lower ones on their monitor or b) they want to gloat to their friends (who may or may not fit into the first reason) that they can watch movie theater quality videos. Or maybe both.

Probably a publicity stunt, trying to get the ignorant people to get hyped up about it, when it only wastes time.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SPARTAN-001 » July 11th, 2010, 12:39 pm

Yep. I'd agree with that. I think the best thing they could've done is improve the compression on the videos, because the current method is unnecessarily lossy.
//SPARTAN
Practice makes perfect and nothing is perfect, so why practice? -brektzar
SPARTAN-001
Legend
Legend

Postby simson33 » September 15th, 2012, 12:58 am

really i agree with you.the current method is unnecessarily lossy.
simson33
Still New
Still New

Return to Tech Talk