blenderNetworkpatreonblender-logosdheartuserthtimesbookphotopencilmap-markerchevron-rightbancommentcommentstwitterfacebookrsschainnavicongoogle-plusenvelopelinkedinmail-replycalendar-otumblrredditstumbleuponshare-altbloggerflattrflag

Networking/File Sharing

Networking/File Sharing

Postby IrascibleOne » July 27th, 2009, 9:51 pm

So, I was boiling in my room upstairs and decided to set up my network and take my laptop with me downstairs (where it was much cooler) and use a network to allow me to gain access to the files on my desktop.

Well, first I tried to work on the file sharing, but I couldn't make it work following Microsoft's directions. I then found a thing called Remote Desktop but it doesn't work on my version of vista (convenient...) so I guess I am stuck with file sharing. I've gotten to the point where I made the password protected network and the two computers connect to each other, but I cannot seem to get the files to show up for me on my laptop.

So, my question...Does anyone know how to do file sharing and can give me a good step by step, or know a site that has really good directions? I'll probably go looking again tomorrow if all else fails.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Networking/File Sharing

Postby SPARTAN-001 » July 28th, 2009, 4:22 am

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 27037.aspx
So is that what you tried? I'm not an expert, and I'm using Ubuntu right now, not Windows, but it looks like that's gonna be what you need to do. You need to do that on all of the computers you want to share files between, so that they can talk to each other. Sorry if that doesn't help. Also, remote desktop wouldn't work for what you need to do. It would basically take over control of the other computer, but not let you transfer files unless you already had file sharing set up. Remote desktop is something that allows you to work on a computer from a different computer that can be somewhere else. If you want to get something like that, check out RealVNC. There's a basic free edition, or there are other versions that you need to pay for. To get the free version go here. Don't worry about all of the features that the free edition supposedly doesn't have, it'll be enough for most stuff other than corporate stuff. Hopefully that helps you some. If you need more help, or if that doesn't do what you want it to, just tell me, and I'd be happy to do some more research.
//SPARTAN
Practice makes perfect and nothing is perfect, so why practice? -brektzar
SPARTAN-001
Legend
Legend

Postby knightsilver » July 28th, 2009, 5:23 am

File sharing:
http://www.winplanet.com/article/3601-.htm

Tut starts here:
http://www.winplanet.com/article/3592-.htm

Let know if thats not what ya need?

shane
knightsilver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby IrascibleOne » July 28th, 2009, 3:04 pm

Thanks guys, I'll probably try 'em out a little later. I'll let you know whether it works or not.
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SPARTAN-001 » July 29th, 2009, 3:44 am

Ok. Hopefully it works for you.
//SPARTAN
SPARTAN-001
Legend
Legend

Postby knightsilver » August 1st, 2009, 5:39 am

Any update?
knightsilver
Contributor
Contributor

Postby IrascibleOne » August 1st, 2009, 5:05 pm

Oops, sorry I guess I forgot. Everything is working now, I misunderstood password protection. Since I do not have user accounts on my computer that have password protection, along with the fact that I had password protection 'on' in the network, I could not access the files previously, all I had to do was change that setting.

Now that I look at it, if I just read the little description I would have realized that. :Doh:
IrascibleOne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby SPARTAN-001 » August 1st, 2009, 5:09 pm

Glad that you got it working.
//SPARTAN
SPARTAN-001
Legend
Legend

Postby heebakutty » June 2nd, 2011, 11:31 pm

interesting ;)
heebakutty

Postby simson33 » September 1st, 2012, 2:22 am

Really interesting and also useful for us.
simson33
Still New
Still New

Return to Tech Talk